[uucdigest]          Tuesday, March 14 2000          Volume 03 : Number 438



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| For all available Digest commands including unsubscribe/subscribe,
| visit the BMW UUC Digest page: http://www.uucdigest.com
| Send SUBMISSIONS to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Complaints?  Send 'em to [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you must.
| Visit http://www.bubbaclub.com
| www.bimmers.com - "serving enthusiasts on the 'net"
| Visit http://www.bimmer.org - ultimate BMW bulletin boards!
| Subscribe to the Zionsville Autosport Parts Digest:
|   http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/majordomo.htm
�����������������������������������������
In this BMW UUC Digest:

       [uuc] Radar Detectors..
       Re: [uuc] RE:Cargo Nets
       [uuc] RE:5-series body style
       Re: [uuc] RE:5-series body style
       [uuc] Black Door Paneling Repair
       [uuc] Mformation
       [uuc] <E30> Plug Wires
       Re: [uuc] RE:5-series body style
       [uuc] Radar detectors (what works besides a V1?)
       [uuc] Inspection I & II
       [uuc] BMW Books 
       Re: [uuc] Radar Detectors..
       [uuc] Re: differential question
       [uuc] What Body Style Do I Have?
       [uuc] re: antiques and qntique radar detectors
       Re: [uuc] Radar detectors (what works besides a V1?)
       Re: [uuc] RE:5-series body style

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:13:55 -0500
From: Don Eilenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Radar Detectors..

OK - with all this chat on VI's and all that modern stuff..

A challenge:

What was the first automotive radar detector sold in the USA?
What year(s) was it made?
How much did it sell for (retail)?

I have one down in my cellar - so one clue: I bought it when I
was 18 (and it was totally useless - only detected airport radar
when I went past Newark Airport)..

Winner gets... ummmm... will think about this - mebbe the radar
detector? (Have to check EBay and see if it's collectable..)

:-)


...................................................................
Don Eilenberger, Spring Lk Hts, NJ JMP#1  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
NJ Shore BMW Riders web page: http://www.monmouth.com/~deilenberger
"You're absolutely right, and I apologize" --Darryl Richman
"Silly me... I apologize."  --Tim Hall  "Sorry..."  --Magwa
...................................................................

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 12:19:47 -0800 (PST)
From: Chester Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] RE:Cargo Nets

> > > > I was in a friends garage a couple years ago and I spotted a
> > > > big box with about 50 cargo nets in it.  I asked him where
> > > > he got them all and he said that he travels a couple times a
> > > > month and finds them in the trunks of the GM cars he rents.

Stealing, is stealing.  However, stealing 1 is bad enough.  What kind of a
person do you have to be to steal 50?

Reminds me of a program I caught on cable over the weekend.  This bird
conservationist was talking about the Bald Eagle and how they are making a
comeback (especially in the NY, NJ, PA area).  He said that a while back, some
moron in Alaska made 35 bald eagles target practice and shot them out of the
sky.  Just like those undercover sting operations where they plant a remote
controlled dear off the side of the road.  You see these rednecks stop the car,
pull out their double barrel rifle and fire away.  When the police come into
the picture they sez, "Aw shucks...we were just a shootin to scare 'em... 
Yeah...to protect them from the other folks who'd shoot 'em..."  DUH!

Chester

=====

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:31:34 -0500
From: "George, Zachariah (CICG Development)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] RE:5-series body style

The 2000 M5, is a 5.0L engine?

I didn't know that..
:(
Zach
> ------------------------------
> 
> 
> > Hello all,
> > I am starting to like the 5 series BMW body style, allot.
> <snip>
>  Only the 540i is available in a 6 speed right?
> > 
> 
> And the 550i ;^))))
> 
> Bill matthews
> 00 MGeeze (550i)
> 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 12:40:57 -0800 (PST)
From: Chester Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] RE:5-series body style

I thought it was a bored and stroked 4.4L to 4.8L....

Chester

- --- "George, Zachariah (CICG Development)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 
> The 2000 M5, is a 5.0L engine?
> 
> I didn't know that..
> :(
> Zach
> > ------------------------------
> > 
> > 
> > > Hello all,
> > > I am starting to like the 5 series BMW body style, allot.
> > <snip>
> >  Only the 540i is available in a 6 speed right?
> > > 
> > 
> > And the 550i ;^))))
> > 
> > Bill matthews
> > 00 MGeeze (550i)
> > 
> 
> 

=====

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:41:54 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [uuc] Black Door Paneling Repair

Recently, I placed a Cardboard box in my rear seat - it was relatively large, 
and upon removing it, I had to sorta squeeze it in between the door panel and 
the door opening.. when I finally got it out (after a little struggle) I 
noticed my door panel had gotten scratched by it.. thinking it was just some 
residual cardboard or dust, I let it be, and today, when I went out to clean 
it off, it won't come off.. it almost looks like the cardboard box actually 
took off part of the black.. I tried everything, but obviously, it removed 
the black.. my question is what should I do to repair this?  I obviously 
don't want to replace the whole door panel.. any good black die out there 
that will match (NOT permanent Black magic marker, either)

Any advice?

TIA

- -Ted
'99 323i/4

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:55:13 -0500
From: "James Moran" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Mformation

Does anyone know if Mformation, the list devoted to S38 powered cars, is
still operating?  I haven't received a digest in a long time and
requests to s*bscribe go un-answered.

Jim Moran
'88 M6

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:45:09 -0500
From: dstevenson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] <E30> Plug Wires

Hi

Does anyone have a good source for a spark plug wire loom/harness for a 1987
325IS?  The people at VOB BMW tell me this harness/loom is not available for
1987 and the harness starting 1988 is different?

Can anyone shed some light on this? Can I use the 1988 wires? How much
different can a 1987 325IS be VS a 1988? VOB told me I could by wires
seperately, but I would rather get the whole set with the housing etc.

  
Thanks                                        

Don Stevenson/BMWCCA Boston Chapter 

1988 325IS, (too much to list), should have stayed the street car. (Sharked)

1987 325IS, project, should have been the track car. (Sharked)

1988 Volvo 240 Wagon 5 Speed. (Green Wheels)



This message is intended for the addressee only and may contain privileged
or confidential information. Unless you are the intended recipient, you may
not use, copy or disclose to anyone any information contained in this
message. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
author by replying to this message and then kindly delete the message. Thank
you.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 14:53:05 -0600 (CST)
From: Jefrem Iwaniw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] RE:5-series body style

According to the BMW USA website, its a gosh-darn 302!(Geez, even Ford
has switched to Metric for engine displacement description, and the
302 was a 5.0L). The German version quotes 4941 cc, which is close
enough to 5.0L in my book :=)

- -jefrem

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Chester Wong wrote:

> I thought it was a bored and stroked 4.4L to 4.8L....
> 
> Chester
> 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 12:55:56 -0800 (PST)
From: "K.C. Boyce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Radar detectors (what works besides a V1?)

Having not used anything but an old Escort and my V1, I'm not really
qualified to comment on this.  However, you asked a question which hits
the nail right on the head as to why people shell out $400 for a V1.

Instant-on radar works as you describe.  If your detector doesn't have
a great range, you'll pick up the radar signal as the cop nails you
(or, if you're lucky, nails the guy in front of you).  With the V1, you
can actually pick up signals from miles away.  This gives you time to:

1) decide whether the signal is real or not.  If you keep getting short
blasts of the same radar band, and the signal keeps getting stronger,
you're probably driving into an instant-on trap.

2) "adjust" your speed.

No radar detector (except maybe God's own V1) will save you from
instant-on if you're the only car on the road.  Ask me how I know...

My $0.02?  Go with the V1.  Scrimp and save, if necessary, but you
won't be disappointed.  (Or just don't speed! <g>)

   KC Boyce
   '85 325e
   E30 Eta Page: http://rikki.coloradocollege.edu/~k_boyce/
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:06:10 -0600
From: "Celisa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Inspection I & II

Could someone tell me, when would I get my first inspection I?And, when
would I get my first inspection II? Everything is free up until 36,000
miles, so I would want to get both before 36,000. At what mileage would I
get my inspection I? And what mileage would I get me inspection II? Thanks
for all responses, and I promise never to respond to the list, just to the
individual. Thanks so much.




Best Regards,
    Celisa

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 10:57:47 -0800
From: "Kevin Kelly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] BMW Books 

Lee Leslie wrote:

>Well, I finally broke down & bought the Bentley for
>my E36 M3... if you have not tried this site...

>Check it out... the Bentley is $47!
>http://www.bestbookbuys.com/cgi-bin/bbb.cgi?ISBN=0837603269

Decent price, but not as good as my favorite book buying
site:

http://www.bestedeal.com

(it searched 56 different book sellers for the E36 manual
and came up with prices from $44 to $69).

I can't wait until we can shop for anything at sites like
BesteDeal.

Kevin Kelly
BMW CCA 50039

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:10:41 -0500 (EST)
From: Joe Walsh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Radar Detectors..

> What was the first automotive radar detector sold in the USA?
> What year(s) was it made?
> How much did it sell for (retail)?

Not knowing how old Don currently is, venturing a guess, could 
it be a SuperSnooper from the late seventies.

Joe

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:15:29 -0800 (PST)
From: "K.C. Boyce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Re: differential question

Thanks to all who responded to my earlier post.  I now have a fairly
good idea of how a differential works.  It was pointed out to me that
on LSDs, the clutch pack obscures the inner workings of the diff gears.
 I'll look inside my old (non-LSD) diff when I get it out.

For all those who were also curious, here's how a diff works:

1) driveshaft torque is turned 90-degrees by the ring & pinion gears

2) ring gear is attached to a housing, which has a planetary gear (a
shaft with two gears on either end at a 90-degree angle to the center
of rotation) inside

3) planetary gear drives two gears which are attached (ultimately) to
the wheels

In straight-ahead driving, the planetary gear just drives the two wheel
gears at the same speed.  When you go around a corner, the planetary
gear rotates with respect to the wheel gears, allowing the wheels to
travel at different speeds.

As an aside, I figured out how to make a diff while I was falling
asleep last night.  It wasn't exactly the same as the above
description, but it did involve planetary gears and such.  Do normal
people figure out how to make stuff while they're falling asleep?

    KC Boyce
    '85 325e
    E30 Eta Page: http://rikki.coloradocollege.edu/~k_boyce
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:16:48 -0600
From: "Celisa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] What Body Style Do I Have?

I know you guys think I must be nuts now. But I called bmw about the CD
Changer. The guy asked me, what body style did I have. All I know is, I have
a 99 328is. It's a coupe. He meant, do I have to old body style, or the new?
I have sent several people a picture of my car, and will do so again upon
request, if you need to look and see. Not that this means so much, but I
have to say, because I haven't a clue really, I simply didn't know. Please
ease my mind, and some write me and let know..Thanks so much.




Best Regards,
    Celisa

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:17:49 -0800
From: "BILL MITCHELL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] re: antiques and qntique radar detectors

I have gotten all manner of grief over my typo:
<>Rob answers correctly, NONE are as good as V-1!!!!!  I've been using
>detectors since 1893, when I bought my first P-car, and put an Escort in
it.
>(Mike Valentine designed it).  I've stuck with his products ever since.>

But at least it proves some of you are paying attention.

I admit to being over 50 and in the geezer mose, but NO WAY am I THAT old!
However, I would dare say a 1893 model P**sche would probably be worth quite
a lot on Ebay!

Bill Mitchell
'90 325is
95 540i/6 sharked, BL/SSed
'97 740iL
'83 P-car 944 and '86 944T (long gone but not forgotten)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:19:35 -0500 (EST)
From: Moe Drippins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Radar detectors (what works besides a V1?)

K.C. Boyce writes:

> With the V1, you can actually pick up signals [from instant-on] from
> miles away.

How does it do this; is it just more sensitive?

- -- 
Just Moe
'95 540 6 speed, BL/SS
BMWCCA Peachtree Chapter

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:19:15 -0500
From: "Bill Matthews" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] RE:5-series body style

Actually 4.9+ which in BMW nomenclature could make it anything from a
547 to a 551 ;^) I just round it to 550

Bill Matthews
Hockessin DE
00 550is (MGeeze)
3 Volvos (855T, 854, 1800ES - different meanings to the numbers)

- ----- Original Message -----
From: George, Zachariah (CICG Development) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2000 3:31 PM
Subject: [uuc] RE:5-series body style


>
> The 2000 M5, is a 5.0L engine?
>
> I didn't know that..
> :(
> Zach
> > ------------------------------
> >
> >
> > > Hello all,
> > > I am starting to like the 5 series BMW body style, allot.
> > <snip>
> >  Only the 540i is available in a 6 speed right?
> > >
> >
> > And the 550i ;^))))
> >
> > Bill matthews
> > 00 MGeeze (550i)
> >
>
>

------------------------------

End of [uucdigest] V3 #438
**************************

_________________________________________
| Please visit these UUC-approved BMW parts vendors/service providers:
| (listed alphabetically)
| Bonneville Motorwerks . http://www.bonnevillemotorwerks.com
| Circle Tire Co. (used & classic BMW parts) e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Curry's Auto Service .  http://www.currysauto.com
| Eurosport . http://www.eurosport-hp.com
| Koala MotorSport . http://www.koalamotorsport.com
| Taylor BMW - http://www.taylorbmw.com - Doc Bimmer!
| The Ultimate Garage . http://www.ultimategarage.com
| UUC Motorwerks . http://www.uucmotorwerks.com
| Zionsville Autosport . http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com
����������������������������������������

Reply via email to