[uucdigest]          Tuesday, March 14 2000          Volume 03 : Number 439



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| For all available Digest commands including unsubscribe/subscribe,
| visit the BMW UUC Digest page: http://www.uucdigest.com
| Send SUBMISSIONS to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Complaints?  Send 'em to [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you must.
| Visit http://www.bubbaclub.com
| www.bimmers.com - "serving enthusiasts on the 'net"
| Visit http://www.bimmer.org - ultimate BMW bulletin boards!
| Subscribe to the Zionsville Autosport Parts Digest:
|   http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/majordomo.htm
�����������������������������������������
In this BMW UUC Digest:

       Re: [uuc] Emergency, need E36 M3/MZ3 front swaybar endlinks
       [uuc] Power Door Locks
       Re: [uuc] Re: differential question
       [uuc] Valentine
       RE: [uuc] Radar Detectors..
       [uuc] Euro E34 M5 in L.A.
       Re: [uuc] What Body Style Do I Have?
       [uuc] Xenon Light Adjustment?
       Re: [uuc] RE: How do I...
       Re: [uuc] Radar Detectors..
       [uuc] Combustion Chamber Comments.  Summary.  Thanks.
       [uuc] first radar detector
       RE: [uuc] Status of S52 Engine in M Coupe
       [uuc] Differential Question
       [uuc] Re: differential question
       Re: [uuc] Re: differential question
       Re: [uuc] Vintage escort radar detectors
       re: [uuc] Mformation

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:28:14 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [uuc] Emergency, need E36 M3/MZ3 front swaybar endlinks

In a message dated 03/14/2000 4:07:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, 
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I am in need of two E36 M3/MZ3 swaybar endlinks (the long style) for an 
event 
> 
>  this weekend and can't seem to locate any.  Any help, new or used or even 
>  temporary loaner, is appreciated.

I did a locate on PN# 31-33-2-227-203 (front M3 sway bar links). I found 2 
dealers in Alabama that have them.

Grady BMW shows 1. 334-476-2550
Tom Williams BMW shows 2. 205-252-9512

Stephen

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:30:59 -0800
From: "Kevin Kelly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Power Door Locks

I sent a post this list that I meant to send to the Range
Rover list this morning.  I mentioned a source for low cost
power door lock actuators Parts Express, and have got a few
posts asking how to get in touch with them.  Go to:

http://www.partsexpress.com

This company has tons of auto stereo and electronic items at
great prices.  I'm not sure if the power door lock actuators
that they sell for under $6 will work on a BMW since in
almost 20 years and over a dozen BMWs I have never had a BMW
power door lock problem (It's only been the last ten years
that my BMWs had power locks).

Kevin Kelly
BMW CCA #50039

P.S. if anyone wants information on the Range Rover (and
Disco and Defender) list let me know

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:42:45 -0500 (EST)
From: Moe Drippins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Re: differential question

> asleep last night. It wasn't exactly the same as the above
> description, but it did involve planetary gears and such. Do normal
> people figure out how to make stuff while they're falling asleep?

I'm a programmer and I figure out solutions to stuff just as I fall
asleep all the time.

Usually forget about it though till I'm on my way home the next day.


- -- 
Just Moe
'95 540 6 speed, BL/SS
BMWCCA Peachtree Chapter

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:47:40 -0500
From: "Lee Leslie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Valentine

Well all this talk about the V1 got me ancy... So I just ordered one... $364
delivered if you
opt for a unit that was returned during the trial period. So this means that I
have my old detector
soon to be collecting dust...

It is a Passport 7500, I bought it 12/27/99 for $230 if anyone wants wants it...
$150 obo...

Lee
97' M3 24K

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 14:50:27 -0700
From: "vanderHeide, Alain" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [uuc] Radar Detectors..

I'm guessing FuzzBuster.

"Any PC built after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit."
- - Rev. Jim Peasboro


> -----Original Message-----
> From: Joe Walsh [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2000 2:11 PM
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [uuc] Radar Detectors..
> 
> 
> > What was the first automotive radar detector sold in the USA?
> > What year(s) was it made?
> > How much did it sell for (retail)?
> 
> Not knowing how old Don currently is, venturing a guess, could 
> it be a SuperSnooper from the late seventies.
> 
> Joe
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:50:32 -0800 (PST)
From: kjk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Euro E34 M5 in L.A.

Not my car (damn) but looks like a sweet ride. Don't
know if he will get that price given the number of E34
M5's for sale right now.

http://www.classifieds2000.com/cgi-cls/ad.exe?P61+C14+A0+R892683+Q359412308

Kevin Kelly
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:48:12 -0500
From: "Pat Donahue" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] What Body Style Do I Have?

Say, I could do with one of those pictures of your body?  Are you a
redhead??

Geeeze
http://patdonahue.com/forsale

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Celisa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>


> I know you guys think I must be nuts now. But I called bmw about the CD
> Changer. The guy asked me, what body style did I have. All I know is, I
have
> a 99 328is. It's a coupe. He meant, do I have to old body style, or the
new?
> I have sent several people a picture of my car, and will do so again upon
> request, if you need to look and see. Not that this means so much, but I
> have to say, because I haven't a clue really, I simply didn't know. Please
> ease my mind, and some write me and let know..Thanks so much.
>
> Best Regards,
>     Celisa

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 22:57:10 -0800
From: "William T. Wallace" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Xenon Light Adjustment?

To all,

Is there a way, for me,  to adjust the Xenon lights on my '00 528i.  Or is
it normal to only be able to see approx. 20-30ft in front of you, with
Xenon's?

William Wallace
'00 528i
BMWCCA# 177841
"GOD is good all the time"

www.geocities.com/emailmeman/home.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:57:10 -0500
From: "Bill Matthews" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] RE: How do I...

> > This kind of question, on a public forum
> > scares the bejeesus out of me!
> >
> > What exactly is the objective here?
> >
> > Zach
> > E36 owner...
From: Cagann, Alexander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I think it's the dude who test drove the S4.  :-)

Actually, I think it is the young man who already took a lot of flack on
this list for having been given a new BMW as reward for good grades. I
suspect he looks on this list as a knowledgeable community of honest
Bimwads (which it is) but may not have yet realized that less than
honest people lurk everywhere on the internet. If the address is not a
spoof (and it is the same one he used before) then knowledgeable North
American open wheel fans will know who his dad is (he alluded to this
without stating it explicitly in his last post when he was chastised
here before).

I have no way of knowing if I have made all the right connections in
putting this all together, but a simple "not appropriate for an open
forum" 2 or 3 times would have been sufficient flogging.

Bill Matthews
Hockessin DE
00 MGeeze (550is)
3 Volvos

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 17:06:51 -0500
From: Phil  Marx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Radar Detectors..

Don Eilenberger posed:
>A challenge:
>
>What was the first automotive radar detector sold in the USA?
>What year(s) was it made?
>How much did it sell for (retail)?

Supersnooper was a good guess.  I don't know the answer.  Loved that big
box glued to the windshield.  Anyone remember the brand whose warning light
was so big and bright we used to take the tops off 35mm film cans (remember
metal film cans?) and screw them on to block the light?  (I do)

If anyone gets rich unloading this junk on ebay, please let me know.  I've
got some nearly NIB Escorts, including one from Remotech (remember?), a JR
unit thin enough to work inside a 2002 visor with mercury power switch, a
couple of metal boxed Passports, and several other less impressive units.
The Passports still do daily local duty here in VA where they are, of
course, illegal, and the only V1 gets swapped into whichever vehicle is
going on the longest trips.

To repeat what you've already heard, there's no substitute for the V1 ....yet.

- -Phil

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 17:09:49 -0500
From: "Neil Deshpande" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Combustion Chamber Comments.  Summary.  Thanks.

Many of the List's stalwarts replied to my post on combustion chamber deposits with 
interesting viewpoints.  Here are some of my comments:

1. My engine is not dirty or anything.  The spark plugs that have been in there for 
50k miles are running just fine and are not carboned up or anything.  Yes, I've 
changed timing belts, subframe bushings, driveshafts and transmission seals, but never 
replaced the spark plugs!

2. It seems the cleaning action is dependent on thermal shock cracking the carbon 
deposits off the piston heads.  The harm such thermal shock could cause was debated 
and I've reached a better safe than sorry conclusion for an engine in my engine's 
state.  It does not knock with 87-89 octane (I drive 95% long-distance) and that is 
just fine with me.

3. The thermal shock affects the heat treatment of the metal.  As far as I know a 
sudden quench from high temperature causes brittleness.  However, one Lister reported 
a softening of the metal.  I guess I'm still confused on this issue.  Since the 
reported softness was with a leaking gasket and not a sudden application of cooling 
water, I think it might have more of an annealing effect on the metals involved.  Each 
time the engine was shut off, it would be water cooled or something.  Still does not 
make sense to me though.

4. Don't do this on high compression ratio cars on account of possible liquid hammer 
or the possibility of excessive compression.  Understood and agreed.

5. There were some who suggested the use of Ventil Sauber, etc.  As Skip Bogard has 
posted in the past, only polyetheramine is capable of removing CCDs, the others only 
remove intake valve deposits (IVDs).  Since the PEA does not seem to be available as 
part of any off-the-shelf product, perhaps on account of BASF holding the patent and 
not licensing it out, anyone with CCDs and no water is pretty much stuck!

Worth noting is that my car has 190k miles on it and to shock the engine at this point 
would be foolishness!

Neil Deshpande
1988 325 iS
1989 325 iC

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:12:28 -0600
From: Morty Kessler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] first radar detector

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:13:55 -0500
From: Don Eilenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Radar Detectors..

OK - with all this chat on VI's and all that modern stuff..

A challenge:

What was the first automotive radar detector sold in the USA?
What year(s) was it made?
How much did it sell for (retail)?

Don,

Would that be the Fuzzbuster?  Made about 1972 or 73 in Troy, OH (north
of Dayton) by Dale Smith.  I met him and was told he used to make radar
units for the police.  One day he received a citation (ticket) from a
friendly cop.  Smith said he wasn't speeding.......that the cop wasn't
operating the unit correctly and wouldn't listen to Smith when informed
of his error.

Smith vowed he would fix the cops............hence the Fuzzbuster.

Mo

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 17:21:03 -0500
From: "Josh Powell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [uuc] Status of S52 Engine in M Coupe

Don Wrote:
>FWIW - reports I've seen (no actual road tests) indicate
>that the new engine will not improve (or make major diff)
>0-60 times, but will help top end - which is of no use
>in the USA.

Really?  I can't remember the torque specs, but I think the bhp is supposed
to be in the neighborhood of 340.  I'd be surprised if 100 extra ponies
wouldn't make a noticeable change in a car.  I suppose the torque difference
might be less significant, but still...  Then again, my butt dyno is a
little younger than yours.  ;-)
Don, I think you're kidding yourself.  You know the new one's gonna be
faster.  So just go put down a deposit.  If you don't like it, you can give
it to me.  Or if you do, I'll take your old car.  See, this is what gearhead
fraternity is all about!

Josh (wishing he had an M-coupe, even with the lowly S52)

============================================
Josh Powell
Cambridge, MA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

'96 BMW 328is "Fritz"
BMWCCA Boston Bimmers Chapter
       Kansas City Chapter

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 17:20:14 -0500
From: "Henry Caldwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Differential Question

>>As an aside, I figured out how to make a diff while I was falling
asleep last night.  It wasn't exactly the same as the above
description, but it did involve planetary gears and such.  Do normal
people figure out how to make stuff while they're falling asleep?<<

    KC Boyce

Are you suggestion the people on this list are normal...:>)  Remember what
UCC stands for.
Henry

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 14:23:49 -0800 (PST)
From: John Bolhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Re: differential question

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, K.C. Boyce wrote:

> As an aside, I figured out how to make a diff while I was falling
> asleep last night.  It wasn't exactly the same as the above
> description, but it did involve planetary gears and such.  Do normal
> people figure out how to make stuff while they're falling asleep? 

 Yes, but invariably I forget what I was figuring out, as I am soon
standing in sort of sun-god robes, on a pyramid, with a thousand naked
women screaming and throwing little pickles at me.  ...Am I the only
one that has that dream? 

- --
  John Bolhuis  | "In America it is not considered to be mentally ill
 bolhuijo       | when a woman advances on her prey in a discotheque
  @bolhuijo.com | setting with hardy cocktails present."
                |                                      -Madonna

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 17:30:22 -0500
From: "James Sheridan-Peters" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Re: differential question

>  Yes, but invariably I forget what I was figuring out, as I am soon
> standing in sort of sun-god robes, on a pyramid, with a thousand naked
> women screaming and throwing little pickles at me.  ...Am I the only
> one that has that dream? 

*Little* pickles??  No, different dream.   ;)

- --
James Sheridan-Peters
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
'98 323is National Capital Chapter
'85 SCCA Spec RX-7 #00

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 17:37:02 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [uuc] Vintage escort radar detectors

In a message dated 3/14/2000 1:11:02 PM Central Standard Time, 
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< However, Car & Driver did a test a while back on the old (mid 1980s 
vintage) Escorts compared to detectors now available.  Guess what? They 
detected X and K bands (probably 90% of all speed-measuring equipment out 
there) almost as well as the V1, and BETTER than all other detectors. >>

I agree.  I still use my original Escort.  No filters, so it is too annoying 
to use around town, but on the highway, you can save yourself with room to 
spare.  Different sounds for X and K (slow down NOW!).  Especially since you 
only need to get back down to 75, now they've lifted the 55.  I'd love a V1, 
but I don't need a V1.

The only time I've ever gotten in trouble while using my 15 year old Escort, 
is when I forgot to turn it off in Virginia.

Paul

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:39:27 -0600
From: Malcolm Reitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: re: [uuc] Mformation

Jim,

I received my last issue on Feb. 8. I did get a note at the end of last year
that the list was changing addresses. The new address is
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Malcolm
'88 M5

- ------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:55:13 -0500
From: "James Moran" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Mformation

Does anyone know if Mformation, the list devoted to S38 powered cars, is
still operating?  I haven't received a digest in a long time and
requests to s*bscribe go un-answered.

Jim Moran
'88 M6

------------------------------

End of [uucdigest] V3 #439
**************************

_________________________________________
| Please visit these UUC-approved BMW parts vendors/service providers:
| (listed alphabetically)
| Bonneville Motorwerks . http://www.bonnevillemotorwerks.com
| Circle Tire Co. (used & classic BMW parts) e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Curry's Auto Service .  http://www.currysauto.com
| Eurosport . http://www.eurosport-hp.com
| Koala MotorSport . http://www.koalamotorsport.com
| Taylor BMW - http://www.taylorbmw.com - Doc Bimmer!
| The Ultimate Garage . http://www.ultimategarage.com
| UUC Motorwerks . http://www.uucmotorwerks.com
| Zionsville Autosport . http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com
����������������������������������������

Reply via email to