[uucdigest] Tuesday, March 14 2000 Volume 03 : Number 440 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | For all available Digest commands including unsubscribe/subscribe, | visit the BMW UUC Digest page: http://www.uucdigest.com | Send SUBMISSIONS to [EMAIL PROTECTED] | Complaints? Send 'em to [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you must. | Visit http://www.bubbaclub.com | www.bimmers.com - "serving enthusiasts on the 'net" | Visit http://www.bimmer.org - ultimate BMW bulletin boards! | Subscribe to the Zionsville Autosport Parts Digest: | http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/majordomo.htm ����������������������������������������� In this BMW UUC Digest: [uuc] River City chapter Driving School April 1-2 [uuc] Re: How do I break into my E36? RE: [uuc] Re: differential question [uuc] [WOB] tarnation, uucmotorwerks! [uuc] E30 (non-M3) adjustable camber plates [uuc] lovely Donna Re: [uuc] Radar Detectors.. Re: [uuc] [WOB] tarnation, uucmotorwerks! Re: [uuc] E30 (non-M3) adjustable camber plates Re: [uuc] E30 (non-M3) adjustable camber plates [uuc] Alternator Size Correction Re: [uuc] What Radar Detectors are good other than Valentine One? ???? [uuc] Re: future of cars, gullibility [uuc] Re: Cargo nets ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 17:00:08 -0600 From: "Mendez, Andrew D." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [uuc] River City chapter Driving School April 1-2 Anyone else going to this event at Memphis Motorsports Park? Andy '95 M3 - ------------------------------ This communication is from a law firm and may be privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of this communication. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:00:32 -0800 From: "Scott D Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [uuc] Re: How do I break into my E36? I sent this reply privately, but it bounced, so I'll post it here instead and embarass myself for not knowing that E36s are somewho different than other BMWs. Scott Miller >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> To: VITOLO_JONA"@LNMTA.bentley.edu cc: Subject: Re: How do I break into my E36? Jonathan, why don't you just put the key in the driver's door lock and turn it? It may not operate the entire central locking system, but you should be able to mechanically open the door. Scott Miller GGC BMW CCA #44977 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:37:58 -0500 From: "VITOLO_JONA"@LNMTA.bentley.edu Subject: [uuc] How do I break into my E36? I remember last week someone was posting about how to break into E36's. I was playing around on my car tonight and I got as far as popping the hood and getting to the fusebox. What would they do next? Obviously the car would be locked. Wouldnt pulling the fuse make the system inoperable? Which fuse is it_i saw 7, 36, and 43. What do you do from that point? Thanks in advance Jonathan ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:07:41 -0700 From: "vanderHeide, Alain" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: RE: [uuc] Re: differential question I dreamed about a hot dog in a vest chasing a donut into a train tunnel. Anybody else have that one? "Any PC built after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit." - - Rev. Jim Peasboro > -----Original Message----- > From: James Sheridan-Peters [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] > Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2000 3:30 PM > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] > Subject: Re: [uuc] Re: differential question > > > > Yes, but invariably I forget what I was figuring out, as I am soon > > standing in sort of sun-god robes, on a pyramid, with a > thousand naked > > women screaming and throwing little pickles at me. ...Am I the only > > one that has that dream? > > *Little* pickles?? No, different dream. ;) > > -- > James Sheridan-Peters > [EMAIL PROTECTED] > '98 323is National Capital Chapter > '85 SCCA Spec RX-7 #00 > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:05:06 -0800 From: "Scott D Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [uuc] [WOB] tarnation, uucmotorwerks! >Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 11:44:46 -0600 >From: Michael Weishaar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> >Subject: [uuc] [WOB] tarnation, uucmotorwerks! > >Man oh man, this web page has kept me entertained all morning. > >http://rinkworks.com/dialect/ > >It can dialectize whatever you type in, and will do it in Redneck (my >favorite), jive, cockney, Elmer Fudd, Swedish chef, moron, and pig >latin. > >OR, what is really hilarious, is to put in a web URL and have it >translate an entire web page. I did www.uucmotorwerks.com into redneck, >and can't stop laughing. > >Michael >88 M3 ??? I thought it already was in Redneck!??! Scott Miller GGC BMW CCA #44977 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 18:05:01 -0500 From: "Fadeev, Alex" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [uuc] E30 (non-M3) adjustable camber plates Folks, What are my options when it comes to buying fully adjustable camber/caster plates for my autoX E30? Turner (www.turnermotorsport.com) is selling some. So does Ground Control (www.ground-control.com). I've heard the name KMAC thrown around, but don't remember what the digest consensus was on them or who is selling them these days. Anyone has any experience with either set? Any other sets? Does anyone want to get rid of their old E30 adjustable camber plates? TIA, alex f ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 18:09:07 -0500 From: "Duane Collie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [uuc] lovely Donna >Question for the women on the Digest, what make up do >you not put on in the house that needs to be put on in >the car? Donna just ignores me when I ask her >(probably still mad about the mirror. The one on my >side works fine by the way. I use it to discourage >tailgating high-beamers). >Kevin J. Kelly ummm....errr...Kevin! Did Donna ever do any modeling for Snap-On? Her first name is on the box my clock came in. hmmmm......<pondering>...... If so, I have her up on my garage wall, perk-i-ly telling me the time whenever I'm out in the garage wrenchin' the cars. And if that IS yer Donna, well.....she can put make-up on in my car anytime....<swoon> - - Duane Collie The Sled ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 17:11:15 -0500 From: "Jeff B." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: [uuc] Radar Detectors.. It's gotta be the FuzzBuster for sure. They went for $100 approx. 1974. Jeff Becht 95 M3/2 - ----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Eilenberger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2000 3:13 PM Subject: [uuc] Radar Detectors.. > OK - with all this chat on VI's and all that modern stuff.. > > A challenge: > > What was the first automotive radar detector sold in the USA? > What year(s) was it made? > How much did it sell for (retail)? > > I have one down in my cellar - so one clue: I bought it when I > was 18 (and it was totally useless - only detected airport radar > when I went past Newark Airport).. > > Winner gets... ummmm... will think about this - mebbe the radar > detector? (Have to check EBay and see if it's collectable..) > > :-) > > > ................................................................... > Don Eilenberger, Spring Lk Hts, NJ JMP#1 [EMAIL PROTECTED] > NJ Shore BMW Riders web page: http://www.monmouth.com/~deilenberger > "You're absolutely right, and I apologize" --Darryl Richman > "Silly me... I apologize." --Tim Hall "Sorry..." --Magwa > ................................................................... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 18:18:48 EST From: "Steven Reed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: [uuc] [WOB] tarnation, uucmotorwerks! >From: "Scott D Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> >Reply-To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] >CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] >Subject: [uuc] [WOB] tarnation, uucmotorwerks! >Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:05:06 -0800 > > > > >Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 11:44:46 -0600 > >From: Michael Weishaar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > >Subject: [uuc] [WOB] tarnation, uucmotorwerks! > > > >Man oh man, this web page has kept me entertained all morning. > > > >http://rinkworks.com/dialect/ > > > >It can dialectize whatever you type in, and will do it in Redneck (my > >favorite), jive, cockney, Elmer Fudd, Swedish chef, moron, and pig > >latin. > > > >OR, what is really hilarious, is to put in a web URL and have it > >translate an entire web page. I did www.uucmotorwerks.com into redneck, > >and can't stop laughing. > > > >Michael > >88 M3 > >??? > >I thought it already was in Redneck!??! > > >Scott Miller >GGC BMW CCA #44977 > > Hmm.....that's odd... it only finally turned to legible English once translated. Steve ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:23:37 -0800 From: Jerry Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: [uuc] E30 (non-M3) adjustable camber plates Alex, Turner sells the KMAC plates. They're similar to stock in construction, and will preserve most of the stock ride characteristics. The solid ones offered by Ground Control and others usually will provide greater negative camber (and possibly positive caster); are thinner, so that you can lower the car and maintain suspension travel; but because of their solid design will sacrifice ride comfort. I've used both (and currently have the Ground Controls installed), but I no longer use the car as a daily driver, so your priorities may differ. (My old KMACs are already spoken-for.) Good luck, - -jerry "Fadeev, Alex" wrote: > > Folks, > What are my options when it comes to buying fully adjustable camber/caster > plates for my autoX E30? > Turner (www.turnermotorsport.com) is selling some. So does Ground Control > (www.ground-control.com). > I've heard the name KMAC thrown around, but don't remember what the digest > consensus was on them or who is selling them these days. > Anyone has any experience with either set? Any other sets? > > Does anyone want to get rid of their old E30 adjustable camber plates? > > TIA, > alex f ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 18:32:31 -0500 From: "Pat Donahue" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: [uuc] E30 (non-M3) adjustable camber plates I've got Ground Control's setup on my race car. It takes some chopping on the top of the strut tower to take full advantage of their adjustability. If you're squeamish about chopping part of your car away you might not be able to use these. Otherwise, they're great. Geeeze http://patdonahue.com/forsale gee. no, gte! - ----- Original Message ----- From: "Fadeev, Alex" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2000 6:05 PM Subject: [uuc] E30 (non-M3) adjustable camber plates > Folks, > What are my options when it comes to buying fully adjustable camber/caster > plates for my autoX E30? > Turner (www.turnermotorsport.com) is selling some. So does Ground Control > (www.ground-control.com). > I've heard the name KMAC thrown around, but don't remember what the digest > consensus was on them or who is selling them these days. > Anyone has any experience with either set? Any other sets? > > Does anyone want to get rid of their old E30 adjustable camber plates? > > TIA, > alex f > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 18:58:02 -0500 From: "Henry Caldwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [uuc] Alternator Size Correction I posted earlier that I installed a 120 amp alternator in my '92 325i. It was actually the 140 amp alternator(part # 112311744567) invoice date 12/01/98. I opted for the 140 amp due to my installing a much bigger and better stereo system with 2 amps, processor, and subwoofer, anticipated different lighting, phone and radar detector hard wired(V1) Henry ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:02:33 -0800 From: "Scott D Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: [uuc] What Radar Detectors are good other than Valentine One? ???? OK, I'll be brave (stoopid?) and post the dissenting opinion here. I replied to Ben privately in more detail, this is the short version. 1. The Valentine V1 is the best, period. It also costs the most. Is that a surprise? 2. The second best detectors are made by Cincinnaty Microwave. That is the company that Mike Valentine used to work for, is it not? I've owned 3: An original Escort, an original Passport, and my current Solo 5 (now out of production). They have all saved me from tickets. However... I do not travel on public roads at tripple digit speeds, like some of you guys. Much. Yet. If I did that regularly, I'd get a V1. In the magazine detector tests, various Cincinnati Microwave models have placed highly. They used to win the tests, until the V1 came out. And, this is what Ben was looking for: They cost less. OK, that ends my counterpoint. Go ahead and flame away, I can handle it. Scott Miller GGC BMW CCA #44977 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:49:02 +1100 From: "Thomas, Andrew j" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [uuc] Re: future of cars, gullibility Rich ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes: > I just got back from lunch. During the short five minute walk, > I saw a brand new: > Toyota Echo > Honda Insight > Ford Focus > All three of these cars could have just as easily come out of the > same design team....UGLY. I also find the Echo pretty ugly - to me almost wilfully so. However the design of the Focus gets a lot of undeserved bad press (outside Europe, anyway); it's pretty sharp for a small family/compact car, and compared to the legions of dull, one-mould Corollas/GM cars/Nissans etc. all of which look the same, I quite applaud the step Ford has taken. Even if it doesn't square with everyone. It certainly stands out on the motorway, but in a way that doesn't make you laugh. And FWIW, the Focus is a very good drive, with remarkable throttle-adjustability and firmness of springing for such a modest car. I await the Focus Cosworth with interest. I do agree, though, that the E36 is a remarkably fine shape, even if its straight lines will rapidly become politically incorrect over time. And if I did know how to break into one, I certainly won't be telling anyone. Andy T "This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. When addressed to our clients, any opinions or advice contained in this email are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in the governing KPMG client engagement letter. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by return email or telephone +61 2 9335 7000 and destroy the original message. Thank you." ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:07:42 -0800 From: "Scott D Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [uuc] Re: Cargo nets >Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:43:25 -0500 >From: "Tim Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> >Subject: [uuc] Re: Cargo nets > >>>I was in a friends garage a couple years ago and I spotted a >>>big box with about 50 cargo nets in it. I asked him where >>>he got them all and he said that he travels a couple times a >>>month and finds them in the trunks of the GM cars he rents. >>>I dug through the box and found a double sided one for the >>>Range Rover tailgate and a couple regular ones for the Range >>>Rover load area and the M5 trunk. > >I don't want to get all moralistic and stuff, but how is this any different >than walking into your local stealer, opening the trunk of a car on the >showroom and taking the net? > >Tim T Well, in one case you're probably getting back at the dealer who has been "ripping you off" for all of these years. In the other case, you're inconveniencing a bunch of innocent, needy travelers who's luggage will get all banged up and broken from sliding around all over the trunk with nothing to restrain it. But you're right, Tim, they're both stealing. Boy, we get some good ones on this Digest, don't we? Wrecking cars on test drives, plowing up the school yard turning donuts, stealing cargo nets - what next, ripping off the Girl Scouts selling cookies in front of the grocrey store? Scott Miller GGC BMW CCA #44977 ------------------------------ End of [uucdigest] V3 #440 ************************** _________________________________________ | Please visit these UUC-approved BMW parts vendors/service providers: | (listed alphabetically) | Bonneville Motorwerks . http://www.bonnevillemotorwerks.com | Circle Tire Co. (used & classic BMW parts) e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED] | Curry's Auto Service . http://www.currysauto.com | Eurosport . http://www.eurosport-hp.com | Koala MotorSport . http://www.koalamotorsport.com | Taylor BMW - http://www.taylorbmw.com - Doc Bimmer! | The Ultimate Garage . http://www.ultimategarage.com | UUC Motorwerks . http://www.uucmotorwerks.com | Zionsville Autosport . http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com ����������������������������������������
