Hello Michael,

Am 04.09.2020 um 13:17 schrieb Michael Meeks:
</snip>
> * many MC members say they want to expand the membership.
>   Given that LibreOffice is rather static in terms of its
>   number of those involved in development: coding, UX,
>   translation, documentation etc.
>
>       + how do you plan to gain lots of new contributors ?
>
>       + Do you think we expand the membership by accpting
>         more marginal contributions for membership cf.
>         https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/Membership_Role#Contributing
>
>       + what effect do you expect that to have on the project ?
contributors who are willing to help users in Ask, on mailing lists,
usenet and other forums and this over all languages.

We do also have other projects (e.g. ODFToolkit) who are mostly loosely
connected to the TDF.

I talked to many different contributors and mostly they simply do not
know that there is something like a membership and also do not have any
interest in another mail address and ask what are their gains in getting
into the club.

> * If you've stood before, approximately how many people have
>   you encouraged to apply for membership ?
I'm not sure. I asked many and I'm still trying to convince more
contributors although my success-rate should be improved. :-/

> * How many applications have you voted against ?
I guess this question is only for the existing membership committee.
I have no statistics, but in the end it is something between "one or two
hands". Some contributors for example were corner-cases since a few
years or some which we couldn't verify by all good faith.

> * Do you believe we should have a half-way house / badge
>   between membership and non-membership that encourages
>   a person, and gives the a path via more contribution to
>   achieve full membership ?
We need badges! There needs more "gamification", although I do not like
the "hat hunt" for the next badge (hence one reason why I quite
Wikipedia). If our OpenBadget system is in place: yes, we should also
add a badge for being a member.

But the main "problem" is that many contributors are "only" subscribed
to some mailing lists and helping users won't see badges nor know
anything of membership. We have to - at least - inform these contributors.

> * When there are no concrete metrics (such as translated strings,
>   code commits, wiki changes, ask comments, etc.) available to
>   decide on a person's contribution; what is best practice for
>   MC members vouching for their friends' contributions, and how
>   should other MC members validate that ?
That depends. I do not believe that we have any problems in accepting or
declining applications. We do have a problem to get contributors to the
application form! There might be some *seldom* corner-cases where we
have to believe or need some third-party answer as we are having
problems to verify the contributions.

Especially for the last case it is important to have as much as possible
diversity within the mc to know at least who to ask, which was not easy
in the past as Asian contributors were missing.

> * To what degree should the MC's decisions & discussion
>   be transparent (ie. publicly available) ?
Most internal discussions are about improving the tools or about
concrete applications. The discussion about applications should NOT be
public. Discussions about how the tools should or could be improved
(e.g. dashboard) can be opened without any problems.

> * How do you believe we can improve the existing election
>   system - assuming the statutes can be tweaked ?
I'm not really sure, if we do need any improvement. At least I do not
have any suggestion as I do not believe that we do have any problem
within the statues.

>       + I'm interested in where we have the situation that
>         being too popular can stop you being able to
>         engage at all as a deputy - as we saw with
>         Miklos/Jona in the last MC election, and Kendy
>         in the last Board election.
As mentioned in some other response, we do have a problem with COI like
in the mentioned cases.I do have a problem with MC members stepping down
for getting voted to the BoD, but to answer your question: simply
getting more people running for the MC will statistical reduce the
possibility of getting into such problems. Luckily this year many
candidates run for MC and thus our members have a real choice!
@everybody: please use your tokens and vote!

>       Thanks for any answers =)
Thanks for your questions.

>               Michael.