On Tue, 2022-02-15 at 12:47 +0100, Paolo Vecchi wrote:
> Hi Caolán,
>
> thanks for your feedback.
>
> On 14/02/2022 21:49, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> > I think at least some of the push back is less against the concept
> > that TDF should hire developers and more that it's a clearer path
> > to start with some specific problems and then what options could
> > solve them and hiring can be an option on that decision tree. It's
> > a rare dev that has skills in multiple appstores, mentoring, qa,
> > a11y, CTL, CJK and bugfixing in the various quite diverse
> > components.
>
> Keep in mind that the point of the proposal was to get feedback from
> the community and the team which seems to confirm that it is
> desirable to have in-house developers to take care of certain areas.
>
> Now that we know we want in-house developers, the team and the
> interviews will help in determining which areas we can start
> covering.

It does still feel somewhat cart before horse in the sense that it
starts with a premise that hiring developers is the best solution and
then backfills it with the problems to solve. And I can understand
reluctance to go straight to that conclusion without stepping through
it starting from some specific priority problem areas to make sure
funds are distributed as wisely as possible to get the most tangible
reward.