Hi All,
I can see (good) arguments both ways - though now that the pace of development is slowing, and the number of projects growing/projected to grow, I would tend to err on the side of the 'stable' master-branch model. As regards a testing method, I could maybe suggest there is a specific shared, scratch, testing project, (with one fairly simple app), to which all the github developers would have root access. The default state of this at any one time would be the 'stable' master, but developers could 'book it out' to try out any developmetal changes they were doing. The _users_ of said project would have to understand that their credit/accounts could disappear at any time! (But maybe this is what Seti@Home beta/YAFU already do, intended to do, at least to some extent??)