On the Mac, the project graphics apps can not write to the per-user BOINC
directory (which on the Mac is "/Users/{username}/Library/Application
Support/BOINC/") because they run as user and group boinc_project under our
UNIX account-based sandboxing. So I plan to set up a PR to create new per-user
directories "/Library/Application Support/BOINC Data/users/" and
"/Library/Application Support/BOINC Data/users/{username}/" with the same owner
and group as the "/Library/Application Support/BOINC Data/projects/" directory,
and write  the stderrscrgfx.txt, stdoutscrgfx.txt, stderrgfx.txt and
stdoutgfx.txt files there.

I believe that a similar approach is probably needed for Windows, which has a
simpler account-based sandboxing. But first I need to get my more urgent PR
finished to fix the fact that the BOINC screensaver was broken by the recently
released Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra.

Cheers,
--Charlie