On 16.10.17 15:07, Laurence wrote:
> Hi Jord,
>
> On 16/10/17 12:24, Jord van der Elst wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 12:06 PM, Richard Haselgrove
>> <r.haselgr...@btopenworld.com <mailto:r.haselgr...@btopenworld.com>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>     Berkeley has outsourced the distribution of Linux clients to the
>>     package maintainers for individual distributions, for several
>>     years now.
>>

>> Laurence is the release manager for Linux, I suspect he knows about
>> all of that. :-)
> No I didn't, so thanks.  Only stepped forward after the September
> workshop.
>> But even if the distro package maintainers release these versions,
>> they also do so first for testing and can then still ask people to
>> report their results on the Alpha project. Their source code is still
>> coming from github as well.
> Even if the package maintainers build and release, as you pointed out
> the versioned upstream code still comes from the project. I have just
> discovered that Gianfranco is doing daily builds (every 4h) and
> creating packages for Debian from the git master. This is a nice step
> towards CI.

And he also builds the complete packages together with the server side
components afterwards that go to the experimental section of Debian -
see the boinc-server-maker package
https://packages.qa.debian.org/b/boinc/news/20171005T094923Z.html.  It
would help a lot if the server bits in master are always be at a stage
that it could be released.

In my mind this goes as far as that for automated testing we could have
dummy project set up in an automated fashion and do few workunits on those.

Cheers,

Steffen