On 16.10.17 23:07, Laurence Field wrote:
> Hi Steffen,
>
> On 16/10/17 16:46, Steffen Möller wrote:
>>
>> And he also builds the complete packages together with the server side
>> components afterwards that go to the experimental section of Debian -
>> see the boinc-server-maker package
>> https://packages.qa.debian.org/b/boinc/news/20171005T094923Z.html.  It
>> would help a lot if the server bits in master are always be at a stage
>> that it could be released.
> Thanks, I was already aware of the server in the experimental section
> and completely agree that master should always be 'deployable'.
> Recently I built a server package for CentOS7 and asked for some
> feedback on this very list. There was none.

That server-side package is somewhat of importance to me - please kindly
(re)send me a pointer to your packaging instructions and I certainly
will have comments - I mean, I have tons of comments on what I had once
come up with :)

> At the BOINC workshop in Paris this was discussed and the consensus
> was to try using Docker for the server releases.

Right. Would work. And it would make some sense to capsule it all away,
too. I just hope you get it into Docker/Singularity as a package, not
from the sources.

The boinc-server-maker package ships make-project, including the example
apps, so there is no need to perform the compilation, and the Docker
image is based on Debian (old-stable) anyway. Takes far less than five
minutes, too :)

> The approach was stimulated by this presentation from Marius. We at
> LHC@home plan to investigate this for our project at some point in the
> future.
>
> https://indico.cern.ch/event/648533/contributions/2710464/attachments/1519821/2373725/boincserverdocker.pdf

Except that your are in Scientific Linux land, so I presume.

>> In my mind this goes as far as that for automated testing we could have
>> dummy project set up in an automated fashion and do few workunits on
>> those.
>>
> It seems from the presentation that we are not that far from this goal.

Good.

The server side is not only about getting the project going. It is also
about clarifying the exact include paths and generally helping projects
with updates/upgrades of the BOINC-parts of their infrastructure. And
then it does not matter if you run on bare metal or with some sort of
virtualisation. You want to know about what version of the BOINC server
was updated with what other version and that it has worked. Linux
distributions are pretty good at this. As a neat side effect, the
example projects get compiled for the many architectures of Debian,
which you can collect and distribute to clients.

Most important to me is that the BOINC server as a package in a regular
Linux distribution brings (data parallel) HPC to every home, to every
scientific institute. I tend to think of it as a social achievement.
Having containers/a VM in between is desirable for security purposes,
but it also weakens the point a bit.

Sorry for being somewhat "emotional" here,

Steffen