On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 4:40 AM, blues <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> On Dec 11, 9:56 pm, "The Editor" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I have been researching the bandwith problems at BoltWire and have
>> found a bit more information.
>
> you should note that: CPU <> bandwidth.
> as far as i can tell from following the discussion here, your CPU
> problems are because the scripts are consuming too much CPU
> resources, which many shared hosting services monitor for
> abuse.
> this has nothing to do with bandwidth.

You are absolutely correct. I was being careless there. It's CPU usage.

>> Second, all the pages are being constructed in about 1 sec, or less,
>> which seems reasonable.
>
> i don't find this figure reasonable, especially with a low load such
> as 5/6 persons browsing the site.
> on some benchmarks i've read, a production site (running a PHP
> CMS, let's say Drupal) have a page generation of 100ms with 10
> requests per second without any cache system.
> with cache the figures drop to 30/40ms with 30 requests per
> second.

Sometime next week I plan to install 3-4 other systems on my computer
(Moodle, Drupal, PmWiki, MediaWiki, perhaps) and try to do some
benchmark tests on them for comparison purposes. I really don't sense
BoltWire is excessively slow. It seems comparable to the other sites
I've seen. I think there is some other kind of problem.

I'm wondering if the problem is not something along the lines of
spiders or bots or something driving up the usage. Though I would tend
to think they would show up in the presence script. Anyone with
suggestions, I'm open...

I've also been thinking about some kind of caching system,
particularly for zones. But the trick is, how do I know when to update
the zone caches? Most things in BoltWire are so dynamic it might be
hard to come up with an algorithm. Perhaps a [(cache)] function which
could be used to create the cache and return it somehow... Would then
need a way to clear cache. Could create a simple action... Hmmm.  More
possibilities.

And finally, I'm inclined to develop a simple, optional database
back-end to see if that might improve things. I understand databases
are generally faster.

Cheers,
Dan

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"BoltWire" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/boltwire?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to