>> And finally, I'm inclined to develop a simple, optional database
>> back-end to see if that might improve things. I understand databases
>> are generally faster.
>
> that would be fantastic.
> maybe some kind of abstraction so that we could over time plug new
> systems. for example i suppose the first database that could be
> implemented is MySQL, which historically is the companion of PHP.
> but with PHP5 we could also write a SQLite manager, with the big
> plus that it doesnt need a database server (good for the cheap
> hostings who doesn't offer the service).
> it would be a BIG addition, worth the 3.0 step.

Well caching seems to have done much more than a database backend
might do. But still this would be fun.

Developing a database connector would actually be quite easy, just a
simple command/function pair for submitting query's to a database. And
probably a few editable lines to store the connection information.
Very easy, I think.

That's for simple data connectivity.  Doing a page backend system
would be a bit more complex. At minimum, a hook in the
boltloadpage/boltsavepage functions. But there may be other places
where page files are ready that would need to be checked. They should
all funnel through one neck---so others could develop any kind of page
storage mechanism they wanted.

In fact, I suppose you could hook it up to another wiki's file storage
format, and customize a few matching markup rules, and bingo, you
could run another wiki off BoltWire.

The only problem is, I don't like databases!  :)  So doing it would be
a purely academic exercise, I don't think I really want to do.  Oh
well, if I ever get rich and bored.

Cheers,
Dan

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"BoltWire" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/boltwire?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to