For live NPR stream, I'm not personally aware of any "non local"
version.  But I listen primarily to the following two streams of NPR in
New York City. The first is their AM station and the 2nd is their FM
station. There are different shows on the two stations most of the time,
so with these two you can get a good variety of NPR at any given time.

http://am820.wnyc.org/wnycam
http://fm939.wnyc.org/wnycfm

*Home:* VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all
ethernet)
*Cottage:* VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio
w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
*Office:* Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
*The Wild (no internet): *PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry
Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
*Controllers:* iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay
7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
*Files:* ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes;
Streaming: Spotify