If 5 wraps of teflon doesn’t seal it, I doubt pipe dope will either. But
possibly. I might try more teflon just for giggles, but probably it’s the valve
itself. I don’t recall if you can disassemble, but if it’s like the vacuum
breaker, it may just have an o-ring or other mating surface that has scale, or
has developed a crack. That would be my next stop.
best,
bmc