Dan Minette wrote:

> Finally, to go back to our discussion on religion, I'd love to see the
> entry on religion from OED (hint hint Julia :-) )

There are 8 entries.

I don't feel like providing more than the first one right now.  I might
provide the second one sometime tomorrow.  (I'm tired and feeling a
little contrary.)

1. a. A state of life bound by monastic vows; the condition of one who
is a member
of a religious order, esp. in the Roman Catholic Church.
b. man, etc. of religion, one bound by monastic vows or in holy orders.
Obs.
c. house, etc. of religion, a religious house, a monastery or nunnery.
Obs.

I think the one you really want, Dan, is 5, and I might not get to that
until after the weekend.  I don't care passionately enough about this
one to personally want to use it to back up any position of my own, so
this is going to get a lower priority than it might otherwise.

        Julia