wrote:
> >> From Britannica.com:
> >
> > "anti-Semitism
> > Hostility toward or discrimination against Jews as a religious or
> > racial group. The term anti-Semitism was coined in 1879 by the
German
> > agitator Wilhelm Marr to designate the anti-Jewish campaigns
underway
> > in central Europe at that time."
> >
> > So, as the word was originally coined, its definition is as per
the
> > common American usage.
>
> Despite the name, Britannica is a US encyclopaedia. So the fact that
it
> gives the US usage of the word does not add any light at all to the
> argument.

Please reread the quote I posted above.  I don't think you were paying
attention.

I'll restate it:
"The term anti-Semitism was coined in 1879 by the German agitator
Wilhelm Marr to designate the anti-Jewish campaigns underway in
central Europe at that time."

I think that sheds a tremendous amount of light upon the argument - it
gives the origin of the term, and the meaning of the term *as it is
most commonly used*.

Adam C. Lipscomb
[EMAIL PROTECTED]