on 4/10/02 3:21 am, Dan Minette at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [...]

You wouldn't need to be apologising if you just read a little more carefully
:)

> I've got another question for you.
>
> Do you consider OED authorative?

Yes and no. Yes I do, but not in the sense I suspect you mean. Dictionaries
are descriptive rather than prescriptive: that is they describe how words
*are* used not how words *ought* to be used. Additionally they are inclusive
rather than exclusive: if a usage is in a dictionary that means that some
people have used the word that way, but if a usage is not in a dictionary
that does not mean that the word has not been used that way by some people.

> Do you think that people shouldn't be allowed to coin words to mean things
> that bend or break common linquistic patterns. (For example, should we not
> have allowed the term computer bug to exist?)

I like neologisms.

> Do you argue with the etomology of anti-Semetic?

Etymology isn't about the use of words, but about their derivation. Arguing
about the etymology of a word is best left to philologists. An example
(maybe not a brilliant one) of etymology and use diverging is the current
popular usage of 'decimate'.

> Finally, to go back to our discussion on religion, I'd love to see the
> entry on religion from OED (hint hint Julia :-) )

How could the dictionary definition of the word be more useful for a serious
discussion of the subject than the more detailed and expert definitions of
two professional theologians? [That I provided earlier.][1]

[1] By John MacQuarrie (Lady Margaret Professor of Divinity, Oxford
University, Oxford, England.) and Walter Holden Capps, Ph.D., Former
Professor of Religious Studies, University of California, Santa Barbara.

--
William T Goodall
[EMAIL PROTECTED]