I've now read all messages in this thread. One off, I can right away say
that the total thread makes me feel very queasy. It looks like a 'witch'
hunt is sweeping brin-l and everybody is dancing around the fire in a
kind of fever, very eager to get some one fried no matter the cost. For
people who advocate freedom of speech the 'shutting people up' sentiment
is awfully well established. For myself I've got to say that I defended
Mark once when his behaviour got really annoying and I'll defend Jeroen
now for the same reason. My opinion on listmail is that if you don't
like what somebody has to say, ignore it. People have a right to an
opinion, fortunatly others have just as much right to ignore it. Use
that right. Use filters, be it just mere mental or state of the art
electronical, you are equipped with them for a reason.

Now for the rest of this very long mail, indeed exceptionally long for
me.

One thing I did observe with increasing amazement is that most on this
list were very paranoid against the 'powers of Jeroen' who in effect
never did anything, and didn't have the power to do anything much at
that, to warrent that extreme form of paranoia shown. Except maybe the
transgression of publishing the subscriber list after being taunted into
doing so. At most one can say he was annoying, ignorant,... stupid  even
maybe to fall for the taunt, but nothing more. Most were happy enough to
be dancing on his grave when Eileen pulled the plug on him as list
administrator under the probably valid excuse of possible problems with
Cornell.
Only... now that Nick is list administrator or should I say in effect
list owner..... most of you are also just as happy to enter on the road
of censorship by setting up a dinging system. And (if I understood
correctly) without prior knowledge or anouncement at that I might add.
Just as with the list tests we stumbled upon this. I do respect that
Nick supplying the infrastructure does have the power to do that and
doesn't need asking any of us for permission, indeed. However realising
this, even more disturbing do I find the fact that he is actually using
that power in consent with the other listowners. It feels like the
testing (without any knowledge or participation or even an invitation
toward any of the regular listmembers) of the new list. It only made
some dust waft and settle quickly. Considering all this, only thing I
can say is that it feels strange.... very strange that everybody so
paranoid toward Jeroen without any power to speak of is so trusting all
at once toward Nick who in effect holds all the power on this list.

=============
Out of context from exchange between Debbi and Nick:

Debbi:
> I must once again respectfully disagree. Anonymous dings, no matter
the
> value they are given, go against the idea of transparency. If
> someone dings
> me, I want to know who did it.

Nick:
I'm sure you do... but I don't think transparency need be carried that
far,
necessarily.

=============
It's the formulation that just struck me. Mentioning this would have
caused a major upheavel if it had been said by anybody else but Nick, in
or out of context. I find that very disturbing even if I can see that
the reason for the desired anonymity as posed by Nick is a valid one. On
this subject I remember one person who countered the argument by calling
someone hiding behind anonymous dings a coward. I tend to agree. I feel
that if you are upset enough to ding someone you should at least have
the courage to stand by that and accept the consequenses be it
mailbombing or whatever. At least then the reason to remove someone from
the list would be provable and valid. As people in Europe keep saying
you cannot in advance punish someone for something that person hasn't
yet done. Admittedly a very un-US standpoint at the moment but in my
opinion it still holds.

As for
=============
Nick:
....the heuristics could assure that even if *everyone* actively
involved in the list dinged the same person anonymously, the effect
would
still be relatively minimal.
=============

To which I say : so why bother. The venom will still arive but later and
as Jeroen IMO correctly pointed out it will only prolong the
unpleasantness. That is unless the next stage is indeed the introduction
of censorship in which case this introduction of dinging would make much
sense.

=============
Nick:
Remember, we're not talking about blocking
messages, just delaying them.  It is quite literally a moderating
effect.
=============

It's an effect already achieved by people not being on line continuously
and the large time-zone differences of the members on this list.
Especially when considering the antagonists (the ones we are all aware
off that is) delaying messages further will get the most venomous ones
only in the midst of the most heated discussions.

I really feel that the introduction of dinging is the admittance that we
as a group have failed miserably on account of  the IAAMOAC credo.

The thing that struck me somewhat is that DB is the one suggesting this
system. [as mentioned by Nick <"David Brin *suggested* the system">].
For an advocate of transperancy and the one who coined the idea of
IAAMOAC I feel that DB (if this is indeed true), by suggesting the
introduction of a dinging system, has just lost a considerable number of
credits on my scale of respect. I still feel that impartial behind the
scenes appealing to persons better nature (as Julia and a number of
others on occasion still try to do), arguing with people off-list and
putting the results of that back on list when appropriate, staying out
of sticky spots or trying to sort out grudges and realising that some
will stay assholes and be done with it, ignoring any further responses.
This results in a much better and more valuable working moral. Enforcing
something (be it the n th repetition of an opinion, a certain point of
view or a dinging system) onto the members of this otherwise vibrant
community IMO will do the community as a whole not much good.
Maybe the Doctor should on occasion remember that it was he, who once
had the short end of the stick in this community and no one on this list
spurted to defend him. Lucky for him the excuse was that most didn't
understand what the hell all the commotion was about and it got sorted
in the end.

But if we must ding I can say that I found Julia's set up of public
records rather good. At least it will keep the transperancy and the
possibility to spot abuse, but unfortunatly at considerable cost of time
to the listowners. Even if there isn't a totally public record I do like
there being a possibility to keep track of dinging quite closely. I
would suggest that any listmember can request acces to the dinging list
to see what is going on. Just removing the accesibillity of the dinging
list one step from totally public, should gain enough privacy for all
involved. The least this would do is introduce the possibility of
arbitration (without ANY participation of the list owners I might add)
because abuse to one might not be abuse to another.

=============
And now finally a warning for all those who think they can use me
against Jeroen and try to put me in the middle. I don't respond well to
that kind of meddling. SO:

If anybody, and I do mean _anybody_ ever again tries to use me to get
Jeroen to  <quote>SHUT THE FUCK UP<unquote> .... I'll publish that
attempt no matter what the writer intended me or asks me to do. It'll be
posted in the unabriged version on this list for all to see. So far I
made a policy of no respons and keep it private even toward Jeroen or if
the mail isn't totally beyond merrit I try to sort out the persons
feeling without the knowledge of Jeroen. BUT I'm really absolutely
totally completely sick and tired of people telling me what an 'ignorant
fool', 'arrogant basterd' or 'fucking son of a bitch' etc.... my husband
is. And I'll only use those quotes (for which I got appologies from some
of the posters after more reasonable exchanges with considerable
restraint on my part I might add). The others are not suitable for
publication...... For whom it may concern, you don't need to worry, I
regularly clean out my e-mail and any transgressions until now have been
deleted. But I warn, and I warn only once, I won't be that polite in the
future.

And now I thank you for your attention if you managed to sloughe (sp?)
through all those thoughts of mine so far.

As you can see by some of the incoherence and subject drift of this mail
I'm really not good at writing these way too long mails. I really should
stick to the short ones, at least they don't cost as much time but I
felt it necessary to at least make the effort in keeping up my end of
IAAMOAC.

Sonja :o)