> From: K. Feete <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 09:34:11PM -0500, K. Feete wrote:
> >> I'm actually preparing to write a scifi story where the government
has
> >> outlawed religious expression (along with any racial references
> >> whatsoever). The point being that a) it doesn't work and b) they
live
> >> very dull, bland lives.
> >
> >So, banning religion doesn't work? Makes sense. People will go
underground
> >when told they can't do something that they want to do.
> >
> >But that doesn't sound dull or bland. Why dull, bland lives?
>
> I don't think I stated that very clearly. First off, religion et cetera

> isn't "outlawed", it's just not considered acceptable - a bit like
being
> a member of the KKK or something. <grin> It's difficult to impossible
for
> you to get a job, particularly in the government or military, and you
get
> passed over a lot. Some people are "closet thiests," but they live in
> perpetual fear of being found out and loosing their jobs, et cetera.
>
> Dull and bland were definately the wrong words. The civilization as a
> whole is somewhat... stodgy... compared to the other two. People are
> extremely literal-minded and rational. There's not very many scientific

I think this is backwards from reality.  Read His _Otherness_.  Then
consider two societies, the free west and thought police of the middle
east, like saudi arabia.  Which one bans things like pokemon?  Freedom
from the thought control of religion allows this 'otherness' meme to be
so powerful in the west.