I wasn't, so please amplify.  I was a lousy history student.  I've made up
for a lot of that in regard to the Renaissance and Reformation, but not U.S.
history, I fear.  What *was* the Civil War (or, if you're south of the
Mason-Dixon line, the War Between the States) about?

I thought the big issue was secession in response to the abolitionist
movement.

Nick