On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 11:19:14PM -0500, Robert Zimmerman wrote:

> >From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 20:31:33 EST
> >Subject: Fwd: religion is evil, why it must be eradicated
> >
> >In a message dated 11/24/2002 9:48:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> >
> >>By that definition, when I teach a subject like introductory
> >>astronomy or freshman math or physics for non-majors, I am teaching
> >>religion, because I frequently have to say, "You'll just have
> >>to take my word for this," because, for example, to establish a
> >>particular result may require calculus or abstract algebra or other
> >>advanced courses which not only do we not expect the students at
> >>that level to have taken, but most of them will never take any time
> >>in their lives.
> >

> >But there is a key difference. You ask them to take what you say on
> >faith but they can in fact determine whether the thing you say is
> >reasonable.  They can learn enough to make a judgement. Basically the
> >truth or falsity of what you teach is something that can be verified
> >publicly

Thanks for explaining that, Bob. As I said in another message, I chose
my words carefully but it appears some people haven't been reading them
carefully. Either that, or perhaps they are interpreting my words as
religious dogma rather than a statement that should be actively and
intelligently applied.

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/