----- Original Message -----
From: "Alberto Monteiro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 12:39 PM
Subject: Re: Robert Kagan on Europe and the US

> Dan Minette wrote:
> >
> >> Why did you use the future tense? What you predicted is exactly
> >> what happened in Serbia: namely the de-europeization of Kosovo.
> >
> >Well, that's a different story.  Kosovo came under Musilim rule when the
> >Ottoman empire conquered it in 1455.  The Ottoman empire only lost
control
> >after WWI.
> >
> It's *not* a different story, because Kosovo was majoritarily Christian
> in the early XX century or so. Then, immigrants from Albania came,
> first as a minority, then as an aggressive and increasing minority,
> then as a majority.

The sources I read suggested that immigration from Albania has been going
on for 400+ years.  What was the fraction in the early 20th century?

> My bet is that the next country to be Kosovoed is Germany - a
> fine irony for their n--- past.

If you extrapolate the fraction of German population that is Turkish over
the last 30 years, how long will it take for Turks to become 10% of the
population?

At 2.3% of the population, they don't seem to be there in large numbers.

Dan M.