--- The Fool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Michigan program limits drugs for low-income
patients
>  ASSOCIATED PRESS
>
> LANSING, Mich., Dec. 16 — Michigan acted legally
> when it attempted to cut
> health care costs by limiting the drugs doctors can
> prescribe to
> low-income patients, the state Court of Appeals said
> in a decision
> released Monday. It was a key victory for Michigan
> Department of
> Community Health in a case being closely watched by
> other states eager to
> curb rising prescription costs...
<snip>

Which is what many HMO's do to their "clients" (not
called patients anymore, you know).  I actually have
no problem with _guidelines_ for drugs, but when you
have to wade through multiple layers of (partially
educated) beaurocrats before you can *finally* talk to
the staff pharmacist, and explain that you've
*already* tried the 'approved' drugs without success -
thus wasting approx. 15-25 minutes on the phone -

But at least they (the patients) can complain to the
HMO 'Client Resources' person; will the disadvantaged
have the same recourse?  Or will their overworked doc
have the time to "take on the system" on their behalf?

Think I Know The Answer Already Maru