"Adam C. Lipscomb" wrote:

> According to labor statistics, productivity for American workers
> continues to climb.  I can understand how that is measured for
> industries in which there is a measurable *thing* produced, such as
> cars or toasters, but how do those statistics get determined for
> nontangibles?  Let's look at, say, software coders - how can you
> measure their productivity?

1)  How many coders does it take to code up version X.Y of product Z?
Compare that to the number of coders coding up the version released 5
years ago.

2)  How many months does it take for the N coders to code up version X.Y
of product Z?  Compare that to the number of months needed to code up
the version released 5 years ago.

My impression from various things I've heard said is that releases are
more frequent than they used to be, for products that regularly have new
releases.  This isn't just in the software industry, but in design &
production of some hardware products.

DISCLAIMER:  I'm throwing this out based on a very limited number of
data points and some general conversation with someone a little more up
on the state of the industries than I who has made generalized
statements.

Other than that, lines of code per coder per month might tell you
something, maybe.  Of course, you have to average that over the lifetime
of a project, because close to the deadline, that number is going to
increase.  :)

> Or is this a P2C2E (Process Too Complicated To Explain)?

If it's that complicated, it probably has a number of components to it
that can be taken apart and analyzed, and a whole can be built up out of
those.  :)

> Adam C. Lipscomb
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> "Silence.  I am watching television."  - Spider Jerusalem
>
> LEGAL NOTICE:  By replying to this email, or even reading it, you have
> consented to allow me to drop by your house unannounced and help
> myself to whatever I want from your fridge, as well as cook me
> something tasty if there is nothing good to eat (quality of eats to be
> determined by myself, hereafter referred to as the Party of the First
> Part).

REBUTTAL:  If Adam Lipscomb shows up at my house unannounced to raid the
fridge, he'd better not bitch about what's in it.  Furthermore, the
quality of Julia's cooking is not guaranteed, and it might just be a lot
easier on everyone if he stopped and picked up something at Wendy's on
the way here, if he takes either the 620 and US 79 route or the Louis
Henna Blvd. route to get here, there being a Wendy's on the way in
either case, the one on Louis Henna Blvd. being on the more convenient
side of the road.  (Taking 1825 to get here is *not* recommended until
such time as the bridge construction on 1825 just east of 685 is
complete, which is a pity because there's a Wendy's on 1825 on the more
convenient side of the road, and taking 1825 is a lot less squirrely
than taking Louis Henna Blvd. and then the mess of twisty roads after
*that*.)

        Julia