>Debbie asked-
>OTOH, where *does* oneš hold the line on health costs?

This is a doozie to work through, maybe we can start this one bit at a time
and try an international flair.  So far to date (after some schooling and
thinking) I like the Australian System best.  Philisophically I figure that
"first world" countries should be advanced enough that basic healthcare
should be a starting point- IIRC in Australia, every individual has a basic
plan and individuals can "buy up" to other levels.

I am not a huge fan of "heroic" life prolonging measures,  so I guess part of
my answer is "what should everyone have" and the other boundary is "what is a
realistic accepted level of care".  Some millionaires (and actors in
Christopher Reeves case frex) will always be able to "buy up" or get into
experimental plans.  To some degree I see people do this every day, some
people pick the HMO version with limited options for physician care in
comparison to a PPO/fee for service plan (or higher coverage/lower deductible
plans) because they do not have the money to pay the childcare, etc  (How
many of us would choose to put a family member in an experimental program
that could be of no benefit/placebo/damaging when we are not under the
emotional strain of coping with a family member that may die?  (How many
people think about the level of care they want for themselves if they get
sick- although it might be a bit less intimidating than setting up your own
funeral plans).

For lack of a better starting point, there is routine care, and respect of
life.  Flu/pneumonia do not claim the lives they used to, I can remember when
Medicare finally started to pay for flu shots.  Strokes and heart attack
medical care has advanced and become more routine for example.  Respect of
life is easiest to perceive when it comes to hospice, but there are everyday
patient rights that also play in here (I am not talking about people
demanding the "best/most extreme" care, but respect and rights to basic
"quality of care"/treatment).

My other concern is that "holding the costs" ends to be a reactive
philosophy.  Some posters have already noted that preventive measures can
have good return on investment.

There is no simple answer.  For example, I hear people complain about
skyrocketing costs of malpractice insurance and general insurance rates- the
common sound bite is the lawyers are ruining the system but I heard a great
article on NPR about how several studies have shown that these rates increase
when the interest rates/etc are diminished and the insurance companies really
have to make money off premiums and not the interest/investments they have.
The fallacy of managed care has been over for more than 5 years- the worst
cases of HMO type bankruptcies on the east coast were not this year- yet we
are just hearing about the insurance company suffering to provide care now.

Sorry for the digressing, not the best thought out but didn't want to wait a
month to respond. Good news is my mind is still malleable- nothing is
concrete in this work of progress (or so I like to think).
Dee- now off to rest my wee brain (is it friday yet?  :-)