>--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> >Debbie asked-
>[actually, it was Ronn]
>> >OTOH, where *does* oneš hold the line on health
>> costs?
>>
>> This is a doozie to work through, maybe we can start
>> this one bit at a time
>> and try an international flair.  So far to date
>> (after some schooling and
>> thinking) I like the Australian System best.
>> Philisophically I figure that
>> "first world" countries should be advanced enough
>> that basic healthcare
>> should be a starting point- IIRC in Australia, every
>> individual has a basic
>> plan and individuals can "buy up" to other levels.
>
>Does this mean a National Health Care System (what we
>would call a single payor plan), paid for by taxes?

Traditionally this would be an option, however several states
are currently looking at state plans (Maine I recall is one state).
The other reason I would hesitate to use National Health Care
System per se is the assumption that generally I think most
posters would automatically think of the Canadian system of
health care.

>> I am not a huge fan of "heroic" life prolonging
>> measures,
>

>My real objections here are in the case of severely
>limited resources, frex organs for transplant, going
>to people who caused their own problems (Mickey Mantle
>and David Crosby getting livers, after years of
>alcohol and alc/drug abuse).  No one has been deprived
>of something because of Reeves' treatment.

Agreed, I don't know much about the organ transplant
priority list, but my vague understanding was it was
pretty stringent for behavior and order of recipients.

>> To some degree I see people do this every day, some
>> people pick the HMO version with limited options for
>> physician care in
>> comparison to a PPO/fee for service plan (or higher
>> coverage/lower deductible
>> plans) because they do not have the money to pay the
>> childcare, etc  (How
>> many of us would choose to put a family member in an
>> experimental program
>> that could be of no benefit/placebo/damaging when we
>> are not under the
>> emotional strain of coping with a family member that
>> may die?  (How many
>> people think about the level of care they want for
>> themselves if they get
>> sick- although it might be a bit less intimidating
>> than setting up your own funeral plans).
>
>Facing your own mortality is quite frightening -
>although for me it is not *death* but _loss of control
>before/while dying_ that terrifies.  If I'm terminal -
>turn off the ventilator.  If it's been 2 weeks of coma
>- same (or cease fluids/meds).

Again, we tend to agree, this is one of the reasons I am
an organ donor.  Unless someone wants to make sure
I get read Brin-l everyday :-)

>> For lack of a better starting point, there is
>> routine care, and respect of life...  Respect of
>> life is easiest to perceive when it comes to
>> hospice, but there are everyday
>> patient rights that also play in here (I am not
>> talking about people
>> demanding the "best/most extreme" care, but respect
>> and rights to basic "quality of care"/treatment).
>>
>> My other concern is that "holding the costs" ends to
>> be a reactive
>> philosophy.  Some posters have already noted that
>> preventive measures can
>> have good return on investment.
>
>Could you expand on this?

Let me try a few angles on this one and see if they help.
-the classic is flu shots and "annual exams", such a minimal price
to cover in light of the costs to cover the problems that can result
from lack of care (prolonged hospital stays, etc)
-Insurance "hold the costs" and restrict how much they pay on meds,
so people have to halve their meds or try and do without them- the
long term detriment is more costly than the meds
-After heart attacks (and the associated costs) people think about
regular exercise, but insurance companies rarely offer true preventive
fitness incentives or even coverage for post heart attack maintenance.
-while prenatal care coverange has dropped infant mortality, (there is
discussion of some of these benefits being dropped due to budget
constraints) yet basic healthcare for "well babies/children" is often still
not available

Dee