At 06:36 PM 2/4/03 -0500, Kevin Tarr wrote:
At 04:59 PM 2/4/2003 -0600, you wrote:
At 08:43 AM 2/4/03 -0500, John D. Giorgis wrote:
At 07:39 AM 2/3/2003 -0800 Nick Arnett wrote:
>Watching ABC this morning...

Speaking of lousy reporting, I have to speak up and say that there is *way*
too much emphasis on the human deaths in this tragedy.    Ok, it was nice
to at elast mention the people involved when it happened, but with
everything that is going on in the world right now, News Shows two days
later should not still be running profiles of the astronauts.

Personally, I'd a lot rather hear about the seven lost astronauts than have them keep emphasizing the cost of the shuttle, as if money were all that matters.

No, they haven't been doing that in this case. However, whether an _unmanned_ spacecraft is in the news because it fails or succeeds, every story on TV starts out with a description like "The one-billion-dollar Hubble Space Telescope . . . " Maybe it's just me who feels this way, but it sounds like all they want to do is give ammunition to the people who say "Why are we wasting so much money in space when there are much better ways it could be spent here on Earth?"
And it goes to the black hole theory is economics, that the billion dollars spent on the Hubble was just poured into a pipe and the telescope came out the outer side, bumping into things because it couldn't see properly.

Something like: "Whosoever hath any gold, let them break [it] off. So they gave [it] me: then I cast it into the fire, and there came out this calf"?

-- Ronn! :)

Almighty Ruler of the all,
Whose Power extends to great and small,
Who guides the stars with steadfast law,
Whose least creation fills with awe,
O grant thy mercy and thy grace,
To those who venture into space.

(Robert A. Heinlein's added verse to the Navy Hymn)