On 14 Mar 2003 at 17:47, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [...]

That IS my perception and it is downright COMMON in people my age and
younger in the UK. It is, however, not unfixable.

Understand, a lot more turnover happens at local levels even if it IS
still FIrst Past the Post. (actually, only part of the local council
is re-elected each time round. And local elections are more
frequent). And our European Parliament elections are PR, which does
have regions but they're huge.

So, we allready have two different political models arround.

Actually, given the Liberal Democrats dedication to PR as a system
they're picking up a lot of votes and threaten to change our system
from two parties to three on that basis.

While I'm not that happy with some aspects of the LibDem platform, of
all the major parties I am MORE happy with them than any of the other
major parties, and their powerbase while fairly only slightly rising
in percentage terms has geographically consolidated - they are likely
to make big gains again at the next election.

I wouldn't put cash on the Labour party not having some kind of
internal split either.

*big sigh*

Given the sitation with the House of Lords which remains essentially
unresolved, the situation over here politically can best be described
as extremely volatile. I know some people don't see it that way, but
I do.

Something's going to give, and if Labour is smart, First Past the
Post will be it. It would make them lose in terms of majority but be
a win in the long term, because the major gainers would be the lib-
dems, who they can work with a lot more easily than the
Conservatives. And it would defuse a LOT of the current tension.

That's just my take. I don't LIKE politics. I don't like being
involved in politics. But they have a way of biting me when I'm not
looking.

Andy

Dawn Falcon