* Bryon Daly [Tue, 01/04/2003 at 18:14 -0500]
> Jean-Marc Chaton wrote:
>
> > * [EMAIL PROTECTED] [Mon, 31/03/2003 at 21:44 -0500]
> > > It is true that the indefensible position of the French (no war
> > > ever no matter what) made things more difficult.
> >
> > It was not the position of France. It was 'no war as long as
> > progresses were made'
>
> Two problems with that: 1) Without firm criteria for "progress",
> *anything* can be stretched to be defined as progress, and Iraq could
> maintain its passive-aggressive blocking of the inspections forever.
>
> 2) When the US/Britain tried to create a verfiable set of tests for
> compliance, France rejected them outright, immediately, even before
> Iraq did, because they had a specified consequence for failure.
> France then said they would veto any UN measure that had war as a
> consequence or set a deadline.
>
> So, as you say, France's position is 'no war as long as progresses
> were made'.  But France refused to even set an ultimatum or deadline
> or condone any talk of war, so we can translate this to "no deadlines,
> no consequences, no war as long as progress is made".  Combine that
> with there being no firm definition of " progress", and a refusal to
> define a set of clear tests of compliance, and France's stance then
> effectively becomes "no war no matter what".

I understand your position but I've not seen the events that way.

I think France, as the broad majority of the council, was agreeing with
the necessity of a verifiable set of compliance tests, with the presence
of a deadline (which length was under discussion) and the presence of
the threat of military action.  This was a considerable step forward.
The thing France didn't want was the automaticity of the start of a war
as a mere consequence of a grammatical conjunction. France wanted the
security council, i.e. humans beeings to convene formally and declare
the start of military action.

This position was put forward by Chile _after_ the UK proposal see :
http://asia.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=2384624
But the United States rejected it outright, immediately, even before
Iraq did.

I still think it was a valid point of view, even if one disagrees, I mean
not indefensible. Are you sure you don't confuse yourself with Germany
position (no war no matter what) ?

--
Jean-Marc