At 12:35 AM 5/30/03 -0700, Deborah Harrell wrote:
--- Ronn!Blankenship <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Deborah Harrell wrote:
> >--- The Fool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > http://www.ewg.org/reports/toxicteflon/es.php
> >
> >"In two to five minutes on a conventional stovetop,
> >cookware coated with Teflon and other non-stick
> >surfaces can exceed temperatures at which the
> coating breaks apart
>

> My thought when I read that in the article was that
> the only way one could
> achieve the temperatures they cite would be to put
> an _empty_ pot or pan on
> the stovetop and turn the control up to "high".
> Water, whether present as
> a liquid or as moisture in the food, has such a high
> specific heat capacity
> that most of the heat energy will go into heating
> the food, and since the
> cookware cannot be at a substantially higher
> temperature than its contents,
> there is no way in a real cooking situation that the
> cookware could reach
> such a high temperature within "two to five minutes
> on a conventional
> stovetop."  About the only way such temperatures are
> likely to be reached
> in an actual kitchen is if someone starts cooking
> something and then goes
> off and forgets about it and it boils dry (and
> shortly afterwards the
> shriek of the smoke alarm will probably refresh
> their memory).

But when you stir-fry things (which was what I used my
pan for), you *do* heat it before you add the oil --
and for searing meat, the oil was near-smoking
temperature (I have *no* idea what that is, but I
think it's a lot more than water boiling!).

True, but still most oils smoke at temperatures substantially lower than 450°C, which equals 842°F. (My oven only goes up to 550°F.) By the time the temperature of a pan of grease approached 450°C, I think you and any birds on the premises would have a lot more problems to deal with than outgasing from the non-stick coating . . .

What Do You Mean The Fire Extinguisher Doesn't Work Maru

-- Ronn! :)

God bless America,
Land that I love!
Stand beside her, and guide her