At 03:54 PM 6/4/03 -0500, Julia Thompson wrote:
"Ronn!Blankenship" wrote:

> At 11:13 PM 6/3/03 -0500, Julia Thompson wrote:
> >
> >The problem with binoculars, or anything else that's not mounted on a
> >stand, is keeping things steady.  What I found worked best for me,
> >anyway, was leaning my elbows on a car one way or another.  Sitting on
> >the trunk, leaning back on the back window and having the elbows on the
> >car that way is a little awkward, but did a decent job of steadying me
> >the last time I tried it (which was sometime in the past 9 years).  Just
> >leaning on the hood or the trunk and parking my elbows there worked
> >reasonably well for stuff near the horizon.  If you've got some other
> >way that works to keep things steady, use that (and let me know what it
> >is!).
>
> Yes.  It's called a "tripod" . . .
>
> -- Ronn! :)

OK, I'm not sure how you'd attach one to the binoculars we have.

See if something at the front end of the center pin of the binoculars unscrews. Many binoculars have a threaded socket there, where you can attach an L-shaped "tripod adapter" which allows you to attach them to a standard camera tripod with a 1/4"-20 thread. If not, I have somewhere seen adapters which are supposed to work for the binoculars without that socket, though I'd have to look for them later.

We have at least 1, if not 2, tripods intended to be used for cameras.

(We also have a monopod, which doesn't hold the camera quite as steady,
but which is a lot more portable and works well enough for outdoor
photography that it's seen a fair bit of use.  And what am I saying "we"
for?  They're Dan's....)

Usng a monopod with binoculars is still better than nothing. Especially if the binoculars in question magnify 20 times or so.

-- Ronn! :)

God bless America,
Land that I love!
Stand beside her, and guide her