At 11:25 PM 6/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:
At 11:28 PM 6/3/03 -0400, Kevin Tarr wrote:
At 12:16 AM 6/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:
Of probably no particular interest to anyone: Tonight was the first astronomy class of the summer term, and we had gotten just about to the halfway point, and I was winding the string around my gyroscope in order to use it to demonstrate precession, when the county sheriff who does security for the campus stuck his head in the door to tell us that we had to evacuate the room because a tornado warning had been issued for the area. Of course, it wasn't even raining at the time, and the rain didn't even start falling until over an hour later, about the time they cancelled the tornado warning, after everyone had stood around in the hall for that time.

It has just started raining again, with lightning and thunder, but if there was a tornado warning involved I already missed it: where I am located, at the very eastern edge of town, the warnings usually expire by the time the storm arrives at this end of town.

Ronn

Can I ask, what do you teach, is this....home or (industrial?) astronomy?

Um, "industrial" astronomy?

I meant, amateur or professional astronomy. There are people taking the course who really only know a little and want to know more, there are people who know a lot and want to solidify their knowledge and/or earn the credits.

Maybe I'm saying this wrong. Amateur astronomers can make real discoveries, while an amateur meteorologist can take measurements, keep great logs but it's doubtful that he will add to the store of knowledge. There aren't meteorologist clubs. But people can take a weather class even if they aren't doing it to become professional.

I'll stop now.

Kevin T. - VRWC
Surprise, it's raining again.