On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 09:56:38AM -0700, Jan Coffey wrote:

> > Of course you can use anecdotal evidence in formulating a
> > theory. The point is, you CANNOT use the SAME data to validate the
> > theory.
>

> You are wrong Erik. You can not formulat _theories_ in this manner.

I think we are arguing semantics. The point was about the concept of
EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT THE HYPOTHESIS vs. EVIDENCE THAT SUGGESTED THE
HYPOTHESIS. Semantic differences between "I have a theory" and "I have
a hypothesis" are not worth arguing about. If you change "theory" in
my quote above to "hypothesis", then I don't believe it changes the
meaning. So feel free to substitute hypothesis if it makes you happy.

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/