--- Dan Minette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I remember seeing Ryan in his later Houston years.
> IIRC, he had one losing
> season (well maybe it was a 15-14 season) when he
> led the league in ERA.
> He would lose a number of 2-1 and 1-0 ballgames.  It
> was amazing.
>
> Dan M.

I'm not denying he was a phenomenal pitcher.  He was a
phenomenal pitcher.  He could pitch on my team any
time :-)  But his lack of control just made him a less
phenomenal pitcher than someone like Seaver or
Clemens.  Although the common conception of Ryan is
that he pitched for a number of bad teams, in fact the
winning percentage of the teams he pitched for in his
career when he did not pitch is actually pretty good.
I'm not saying "Nolan Ryan wasn't a great pitcher" -
I'm saying Nolan Ryan wasn't one of the top 5-10
pitchers of all time.  He was an incredible pticher -
I'd just rather have Clemens or Seaver for career
value, or Pedro for peak value.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]