This reasoning would only be logical if you postulate that the war against
terrorism is the *only* important political issue in America today.  Is that
what you're saying?  Would you agree that it's not logical the way that you
stated it?

> No, it's because that's what we've got.  Only in
> paranoid fantasies do we have a war that suspends
> normal checks and balances for civil rights.  If it
> did, you and The Fool would have been arrested
> already.

You've made the same error in logic again.  For this to be true, *all* civil
rights would have had to be suspended.  That's certainly not what I believe,
nor what I wrote.

> The Left's preferred options
> - doing nothing, or giving our enemies what they want
> - are not policies, they are suicide pacts.

Oh, please... Can you name one Democrat in Congress who has ever called for
"doing nothing" in response to terrorism?  Or on this list?  Or are you
saying that such a position is implied somehow?  If so, how?  I imagine that
you're seeing political suicide -- which is what such a statement or
implication would be -- because you want to, not because it's there.  But
make your case, I'm listening.

>  The "war
> on terrorism" didn't happen because it made people
> happy, any more than the Cold War happened because
> conservatives needed an enemy (another one of those
> fantasies of the Left, come to think of it) or the
> Second World War happened because FDR needed someone
> to distract from the failure of his New Deal policies
> to end the Great Depression.  The war happened because
> it was forced on us by our enemies.  What most of the
> right wants to do is win it.

Has anyone, right, center or left, even defined, in a practical sense, what
it would mean to "win it?"  I sure haven't heard such a definition, which
leaves me rather cynical, I'm sorry to say.  Without it, what I see are
politicians using the phrase to further their own agendas, not our national
or human interests.

> What most of the Left
> seems to want to do is pretend that there is no war -
> like the mythical ostrich, I guess.  As long as the
> American public is faced with those two choices, then
> I know how this will end.

Polarizing it that way is naive, at best, Machiavellian and culturally
suicidal, at worst, in my opinion.

Nick