On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 04:51:55AM -0500, Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

> So what jobs will still be performed by humans in a robotic nation?

I think a more useful question is, what will still be scarce in a robot
economy?

Well, I think the article probably overestimates the progression
of computer power, absent any revolutionary breakthroughs.  Most
technologies follow a stylized S-curve of rapid growth, steady growth,
then slow growth, and the article assumes the steady growth will
continue for several more decades, which I doubt.  My best guess is
that things will stagnate in the next decade until a revolutionary
technology is perfected (my wild guesses would be "3D microprocessors"
and/or quantum computing becoming practical for very high computational
densities)

Anyway, my point is that computational power may still be relatively
scarce compared to what the article assumes. So, for example, creative
thinking, which requires a great deal of knowledge and processing power,
will be highly valued (more so if there is less incentive for people to
do it).

Energy will still be scarce, unless controlled fusion is perfected. Land
will surely still be scarce (it will probably be a long time before we
colonize other Earth like planets or are as comfortable living in space
habitats as on the Earth). Maybe this combination will make land with
lots of sunlight for solar energy power generation plants much more
valuable (the robots will need a lot of power).

I think the article asks a good question, which is how the economy
can be modified to deal with these sorts of things. One solution was
outlined in _Beggars in Spain_ by Nancy Kress, with the "donkeys" and
the "livers". For me, that is something of a nightmare scenario, but
it does seem to be a likely outcome. But I'd much rather see most
children acquiring an education despite the fact that an education is
not REQUIRED in order to live. But how to motivate people to learn? The
only answer I can come up with is to continue to balance cooperation
with competition. Don't give the "livers" everything they want. Provide
a minimum safety net for free (nutritious but not desirable food,
minimalist housing and clothing, basic medical care, etc.) and set up
an economy where people must still compete if they want more than the
minimum. Medium of exchange would be based on whatever is still scarce
(land, energy, creative thinking, etc.)

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/