>Erik wrote-
>I think the article asks a good question, which is how the economy
>can be modified to deal with these sorts of things.

I think one of the deficits of this article is the potential population
decline in the future.  If you look at the trend of lack of
replacement rate in many civilized countries, this might dovetail
fairly well with the fear many industries have of losing an
employment pool.

>One solution was
>outlined in _Beggars in Spain_ by Nancy Kress, with the "donkeys" and
>the "livers". For me, that is something of a nightmare scenario, but
>it does seem to be a likely outcome.

Haven't read this yet.

>But I'd much rather see most
>children acquiring an education despite the fact that an education is
>not REQUIRED in order to live. But how to motivate people to learn? The
>only answer I can come up with is to continue to balance cooperation
>with competition. Don't give the "livers" everything they want. Provide
>a minimum safety net for free (nutritious but not desirable food,
>minimalist housing and clothing, basic medical care, etc.) and set up
>an economy where people must still compete if they want more than the
>minimum. Medium of exchange would be based on whatever is still scarce
>(land, energy, creative thinking, etc.)

Cooperation and competition do drive people to work together.  Here in the
South, many companies are finding a lack of suitable technically trained
workers.  First the initiative was started to bring local community colleges
in line with industrial needs for CAD training, etc.  People know they can
get local training if they want a job or if they are out of work.  The local
universities have helped to create partnerships with lesser developed
areas to raise the general level of education by strong community
based needs research
 and corporate involvement/committment.

Dee