--- Erik Reuter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 03:36:28PM -0700, Jan Coffey wrote:
>
> > Water cooled is definaly a possible first step. Anyone have any other
> > ideas for keeping the video card cool? Anyone know of a 450W power
> > supply with a quiet fan?
>
> I think the ultimate in quiet and powerful would be to build a
> soundproof box to put the entire case inside. Of course, soundproof
> (plexiglass and foam box would work) probably also means thermally
> insulating. So you have to find a quiet way to get the heat out of the
> soundproof box. One way to do that would be to run two pipes or hoses
> through the box for coolant, with a big heatsink inside connected to the
> coolant. Then you have the problem of creating a quiet recirculating
> cooler. Or you could put the recirculating cooler outside the house,
> like a central air conditioning heat exchanger. Or if you don't mind
> using a lot of water, you could just run cold water constantly through
> the box and down the drain.

If you believe that propa.....just kidding :)

The Carillion audio computer is just that soundproof case. They use a very
very quiet fan and as you say below, a couple of steps back from the state of
the art, so that there are less thermal issues.

My neigbot built a supper overclocked computer but to keep it fan he had to
run an industrial fan on the case. The fan was the same size as the case.

He then tried to build a a water cooler for it with a fishtank pump. The pump
wonder ful design, supper neat to watch it go, but the pump was louder than
the industrial fan. He is considering putting the pump in the basement or
garage and pumping the water from there. I want to go the other way and move
the computer to the basement and run wireing up to the house. I don't think
ata cable will have that kind of reach though. Anyone know?

=====