From: Erik Reuter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Killer Bs Discussion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The seven habits of highly ineffective list-subscribers
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 09:08:11 -0400

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 05:52:03PM +0530, Ritu wrote:

> Nope. Orders don't begin with 'Try'. Had that been an order, it would
> have read: 'Listen more and argue less...'.

Bzzzt. Try again. Orders can begin with "try". Try means to do something
but not necessarily expect complete success. "Try this" can certainly be
an order.

'Try' means 'to make an attempt at'. I don't think "Attempt to listen more and argue less," sounds particularly harsh but it could easily be construed as a command.

Erik, I do think it's perfectly possible to debate people without having them regard you as confrontational or difficult, yet from what I can see, that seems to happen a lot to you. Why do you think that is? I've watched many debates you've been involved in over the past year with interest, yet I haven't been able to pin it down. I'm not making an attempt at sarcasm or initiating a personal attack. I'm just genuinely curious about what you think of what I believe is a recurring pattern.

Jon

Le Blog: http://zarq.livejournal.com