Jan Coffey wrote:

A society where everyone was carrying a weapon would be a society where the
week and the meek would have equal power when they walk out of their front
door. It would be More peacefull and provide for More equality.

<rolls eyes> Yea, like the gangs in our cities that all have guns. They're oh so equal in the cemetery. Sorry, but the above is a tired cliché that doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

I beleive that for a weaponless society to work, we must first experience have tactical equality.

Your formula assumes that everyone that is week and meek wants a gun. Are you going to force people to carry guns so that they are "equal"? Then there is the matter of temperament. many of the gun deaths in this country occur when normally law abiding citizens loose it and start shooting. Then there is the matter of accidents. Your formula assumes that all gun owners will be responsible, keeping their weapons out of the hands of minors and taking appropriate safety measures.

All that being said, there are too much a cult of arms in this country to make firearms illegal. Though the courts have ruled that the second amendment does not allow unlimited access to firearms people continue to believe that deadly force is their right. So be it. What we need to do is to encourage responsibility with the law. Weapons should be registered. Owners should be trained. Penalties for abuse should be persuasive. And the laws should be homogenous so that individuals can't skirt them by driving a few miles.

Doug