On Monday, August 11, 2003, at 02:11 am, Gautam Mukunda wrote:

--- William T Goodall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
In fact the whole of Europe has much lower homicide
rates than the USA,
and much stricter gun control.

--
William T Goodall

_But_, just to complicate things a bit (I'm an agnostic in this particular debate) it has higher levels of violent crime overall (a fairly recent phenomenon), and a far more homogenous population, with massive underreporting of crimes committed against minorities (i.e. Arabs in France).

It's a fact that Europe has lower homicide rates than the USA. If we accept that it actually is a more violent place overall then this is excellent evidence that gun control works to reduce homicide is it not?

And I would rather be mugged or get some broken ribs or whatever than be shot dead.

--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of
their C programs.  -- Robert Firth