On Sunday, August 10, 2003, at 11:15 pm, Doug Pensinger wrote:

Jan Coffey wrote:

I also suggest that given that the same site lists Nevada and NewYork as 7 &
8 respectivly for previous years the statistical significance given their
method of rating is rather low.

OK Jan, I give. I'll use your standards to prove my point: Armed societies aren't more polite because I said so.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs2/hosb502tabs.xls

The average homicides per 100,000 persons per year over 1998-2000 in the USA was 5.87. In England and Wales (where guns are pretty much unavailable) the rate was 1.50.

In fact the whole of Europe has much lower homicide rates than the USA, and much stricter gun control.

--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

How long a minute is depends on which side of the bathroom door you're on.