Jan Coffey wrote:

I also feel that it is necessary to note that there is a lot of quackery
around learning "disabilities". FREX "The Gift of dyslexia" is a
non scientific book with absolutely ridiculous notions like dyslexics shoes
come untied more often, and that dyslexic are clumbsy. There are studies by
~real~ scientists such as Shaywitz shoing that this stuff is nonsense.

Well, about those shoes. ;o) I remember that a while back I read about some research into tying shoe laces. It showed that there are many ways to tie your laces but there are only one or two ways that will result in laces that will not continuously come undone. Well that, and it helps if you knot the loops of your toddies shoelaces once you tied them. I don't have the link to it, but if it exist maybe a benevolent listee might provide it for our amusement. :o)

One does not have to be autistic to have a heightened sense for such things as flickering lights or shrill electronics. The average person can only see "flicker" below some frequency (can't remember what it si just now) and the above average person can only here between 20 Htz and 20k Htz. There are individuals who can see and here better, and they are often distracted in learning environemnts that contain such noise.

Thank you for the information. I personally have exceptionally good hearing but found that I can shut it down or more like totally screen my surroundings out while I work. It usually results in me being very concentrated, the more so, the noisier the environs I'm working in get. People have found that it then takes a considerable amount of effort to get my attention once I'm in that state. So I sort of use the noises around me to focus my thoughts and become very concentrated. Something I found totally impossible in a silent room, where I would jump at even the slightest of sounds.

It is ridiculous to suggest that a student should wear dark red glasses when the lighting could simply be adjusted. Especialy if the student is autistic and is having a difficult enough time socialy anyway.

Reading this (and Julia's response) I feel that I have to ask if either you or Julia for that matter read or even glanced at the sites I pointed to? The reason I'm asking is because f.i. information like below is on one of the sites and both your responses seem to be oddly out of sync with this and other things mentioned there.

from http://www.read-eye.connectfree.co.uk/dyslexia.htm

"Visual stress" is a condition that often contributes to reading difficulties in adults and children. The condition is related to light sensitivity in disorders such as migraine and epilepsy. It causes distortions on the printed page when black print contrasts sharply with a bright background.

Visual stress is often a big part of the problem in Dyslexia, but can also affect other poor readers and may cause eyestrain and headaches in good readers.

etc.

<disclaimer> I didn't say, nor did I attempt to say that this in any way applies to Jan, nor that it was _the_ solution to cure any or all dyslexic and/or autistic people, nor did I say that every dyslexic can become a normal reader by putting on dark red lenses, nor did I say that every dyslexic is autistic or that every autistic person is dyslexic, or a combination thereof. Nor did I as far as I know in any way speak negatively about autism, reading and or other disabilities. If I did I'm not aware of it and apologize. </disclaimer>

I feel that I have to put in this disclaimer because the to me apparently stingy reaction on this subject I got from Jan seemed a bit odd and undeserved.

But since I'm a benign person and have to assume that the inadvertent connection I made between autism and dyslexia was what threw people off, I'll try to clarify and refine my position.

What I attempted to mentioned was that there are people with sight difficulties (i.e. specifically people with visual dyslexia, like f.i. my mom who likes to wear yellow lenses but until now didn't know why) that benefit from this kind of simple and cheap solution. I aspired to deliver this (to me amazing) info together with source information and the circumstances under which I acquired the information.

In general it used to be good brin-l practice to deliver information to the list in this form, usually resulting in nuanced replies of informed people who have taken (tense?) the trouble to glance through the material that the original poster pointed to. Additional surprising information can thus be acquired and it is even possible to have a discussion of the subject between polite, enthusiastic and inspired people. Generally broadening the horizon of the members on this list..

Sonja :o)
GCU: Brevity versus complexity
xGCU: Is there a limit to the number of subjects one can put in one subject line?