At 01:29 PM 10/9/03 +1000, Russell Chapman wrote:
John Garcia wrote:

Does anyone else remember making pictures on greenbar paper of ships, people, etc?

We had that as an assignment in school (1976) - we had to write a program in BASIC to draw the picture, and encode it on punch cards (we coloured ours in with pencil rather than punching out chads (gee Mr Cooper, when we're not hanging you, we are punching you out - tough life!)). We sent the cards away to a Uni 100km away, and got the printouts back a week later. I'll never forget the teacher handing out the results, 3 pages of greenbar each, including lpr header page, except this one kid who had a loop in his program and got a stack of paper about 18in high dumped on his desk... The other students showed no mercy in their comments. I also remember a later assignment where I had finished all the cards which made a 3 inch stack, and then knocked the cards off my desk to scatter in a jumbled mess all over the floor, with no indication of their correct order.

That's what those numbers punched in columns 72-80 were for . . .

-- Ronn! :)