> ritu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Robert J. Chassell wrote:
<snippage throughout>

> > Is the theological-political connection right?  Is
> it fair to say that
> > many people do wish to behave with the same
> qualities as their God?
> > If so, and if the qualities are as stated, does
> this predefine the
> > attributes that Americans seek in their
> presidents, on the one hand,
> > and that Eqyptians and others seek in their
> leaders, on the other?
>
> I don't know what to think of this theory....he has
> very carefully refrained from mentioning what the
> muslims look for in their leaders - the only thing
> he says is that the
> kind of leaders muslims like evoke only revulsion
> among Americans....And what is so very
> different between the
> Americans and the Arabs/Muslims/Islamic world that
> no muslim leader
> could ever hope to win the adulation of both his
> people and the west?
> And where do the 5 million American muslims fit in
> Spengler's analysis?
>
> I know Spengler at least believes in an unbridgeable
> gap between the
> American and the Islamic world view - what I don't
> know is why...why does his entire article
> seem to hinge on the
> premise that the Islamic world view is bad,
> repulsive and nasty?....the entire article contains
> just one sentence,
> by a jewish theologian, on the nature of Allah. The
> rest are blanket
> assertions to the effect that more details wouldn't
> help, familiarity
> would only breed further contempt and that there are
> so many fundamental
> differences between the two faiths/cultures that
> most Americans
> understand why Boykin has cast the war on terror in
> religious terms.

While I _understand_ why Boykin* has done so, I
strongly disagree with him; all who cast this "war on
terror" in a religious frame invoke Crusade on the
western (which Boykin has equated to 'fundamentalist
Christian') front, and jihad on the Muslim.  That is a
recipe for bloodshed.  It is wrong-headed, divisive,
and arrogant; it invites, nay demands! further
extremism and absolutism.

*IMO he ought to be demoted, retired or least
sidelined to a non-sensitive administrative position,
and he should _never_ be allowed command of a fighting
unit or missile site.

I came across this in a search for sites on the
Enlightenment (which I wanted WRT America's founding
principles); the article is much longer.  While the
author, Abdal-Hakim Murad, clearly believes in the
moral superiority and universality of Islam, he also
calls for tolerant engagement and for Islam to be a
"prophetic, dissenting witness within the reality of
the modern world."

http://www.themodernreligion.com/ht/faith-future.html
"...I want to talk about religion - our religion - and
address the question of what exactly is going on when
we speak about the prospects of a mutually helpful
engagement between Islam and Western modernity. I
propose to tackle this rather large question by
invoking what I take to be the underlying issue in all
religious talk, which is its ability both to propose
and to resolve paradoxes.

"We might begin by saying that theology is the most
ambitious and fruitful of disciplines because it is
all about the successful squaring of circles...what we
call universalism...Islam does not limit itself to the
upliftment of any given section of humanity, but
rather announces a desire to transform the entire
human family. This is, if you like, its Ishmaelite
uniqueness: the religions that spring from Isaac
(a.s.), are, in our understanding, an extension of
Hebrew and Occidental particularity, while Islam is
universal..."  [He overstates his case here, as most
Christians consider Jesus 'given for the sake of the
world' and I think there is a Jewish concept of 'being
a light unto the world' also.]

"...This will demand the squaring of a circle - in
fact of many circles - in a way that is
characteristically Islamic. Despite its Arabian
origins, Islam is to be not merely for the nations,
but of the nations. No pre-modern civilisation
embraced more cultures than that of Islam - in fact,
it was Muslims who invented globalisation...It also
demonstrates the divine purpose that this Ishmaelite
covenant is to bring a monotheism that uplifts, rather
than devastates cultures...Perhaps the greatest single
issue exercising the world today is the following: is
the engagement of Islamic monotheism with the new
capitalist global reality a challenge that even Islam,
with its proven ability to square circles, cannot
manage?

"...The current agreement between zealots on both
sides - Islamic and unbelieving - that Islam and
Western modernity can have no conversation, and cannot
inhabit each other, seems difficult given traditional
Islamic assurances about the universal potential of
revelation. The increasing number of individuals who
identify themselves as entirely Western, and entirely
Muslim, demonstrate that the arguments against the
continued ability of Islam to be inclusively universal
are simply false...Palpably, there are millions of
Muslims who are at ease somewhere within the spectrum
of the diverse possibilities of Westernness. We need,
however, a theory to match this practice... Can Islam
really square this biggest of all historical circles,
or must it now fail, and retreat into impoverished and
hostile marginality, as history passes it by?...

"...I take the case of the Netherlands because it was,
until very recently, a model of liberalism and
multiculturalism. Indeed, modern conceptions of
religious toleration may be said to have originated
among Dutch intellectuals. Without wishing to sound
the alarm, it is evident that if Holland can adopt an
implicitly inquisitorial attitude to Islam, there is
no reason why other states should not do
likewise...Fortuyn, a highly-educated and liberal
Islamophobe, was convinced that Islam cannot square
the circle. He would say that the past genius of Islam
in adapting itself to cultures from Senegal to Sumatra
cannot be extended into our era, because the rules of
that game no longer apply. Success today demands
membership of a global reality, which means signing up
to the terms of its philosophy. The alternative is
poverty, failure, and - just possibly - the B52s.

"How should Islam answer this charge? The answer is,
of course, that ‘Islam’ can’t. The religion’s strength
stems in large degree from its internal diversity.
Different readings of the scriptures attract different
species of humanity. There will be no unified Islamic
voice answering Fortuyn’s interrogation. The more
useful question is: who should answer the charge? What
sort of Muslim is best equipped to speak for us, and
to defeat his logic?... [He points to Sufism.]

"...Even in the medieval period, one of the great
moral and methodological triumphs of the Muslim mind
was the confidence that a variety of madhhabs could
conflict formally, but could all be acceptable to God.
In fact, we could propose as the key distinction
between a great religion and a sect the ability of the
former to accommodate and respect substantial
diversity. Fortuyn, and other European politicians,
seek to build a new Iron Curtain between Islam and
Christendom, on the assumption that Islam is an
ideology functionally akin to communism, or to the
traditional churches of Europe...The great tragedy is
that some of our brethren would agree with him. There
are many Muslims who are happy to describe Islam as an
ideology. One suspects that they have not troubled to
look the term up, and locate its totalitarian and
positivistic undercurrents...

"...the irony remains. We are represented by the
unrepresentative, and the West sees in us a mirror
image of its less attractive potentialities...[Yet]
Islamic universalism is represented by the great bulk
of ordinary mosque-going Muslims who around the world
live out different degrees of accommodation with the
local and global reality...From our perspective, then,
it can seem that it is the West, not the Islamic
world, which stands in need of reform in a more
pluralistic direction. It claims to be open, while we
are closed, but in reality, on the ground, seems
closed, while we have been open...

"...The second dangerous consequence of
‘Enlightenment’, as Muslims see it, is the replacement
of religious autocracy and sacred kingship with either
a totalitarian political order, or with a democratic
liberal arrangement that has no fail-safe resistance
to moving in a totalitarian direction...The humanistic
revolt for the ‘liberation’ of humankind from
centuries of dependence upon God and nature has been
shown to sustain a capacity for demonic evil.
Twentieth-century European civilization, in part the
product of the Enlightenment and liberal culture, was
a Frankenstein that authored the German monster’s
being...Muslims surely have the right to express deep
unease about the demand to submit to an Enlightenment
project that seems to have produced so much darkness
as well as light...

"...the liberation promised by the Enlightenment did
not only lead to the explicit totalitarianisms which
ruined most of Europe for much of the twentieth
century, but also to an implicit, hidden
totalitarianism, which is hardly less dangerous to
human freedom. We are now increasingly slaves to the
self, via the market, and the endlessly proliferating
desires and lifestyles which we take to be the result
of our free choice are in fact designed for us by
corporation executives and media moguls...

"...Islam, as I rather conventionally observed a few
minutes ago, speaks with many voices. Fortuyn, and the
new groundswell of educated Western Islamophobia, have
heard only a few of them, hearkening as they do to the
totalitarian and the extreme. Iqbal, I would suggest,
and Altaf Gauhar, represent a very different
tradition. It is a tradition which insists that Islam
is only itself when it recognises that authenticity
arises from recognising the versatility of classical
Islam, rather than taking any single reading of the
scriptures as uniquely true...to use my own
idiom...The immutable Law, to be alive, even to be
itself, must engage with the mill-wheel of the
transient...

"...Extremism, however, has been probably the more
damaging... Al-Bukhari and Muslim both narrate from
A’isha, (r.a.), the hadith that runs: ‘Allah loves
kindness is all matters.’ Imam Muslim also narrates
from Ibn Mas‘ud, (r.a.), that the Prophet (salla’Llahu
‘alayhi wa-sallam) said: ‘Extremists shall perish’
(halaka’l-mutanatti‘un). Commenting on this, Imam
al-Nawawi defines extremists as ‘fanatical zealots’
(al-muta‘ammiqun al-ghalun), who are simply ‘too
intense’ (al-mushaddidun)...Attempts to reject all of
global modernity simply cannot succeed, and have not
succeeded anywhere. A more sane policy, albeit a more
courageous, complex and nuanced one, has to be the
introduction of Islam as a prophetic, dissenting
witness within the reality of the modern world...

"...We need a form of religion that elegantly and
persuasively squares the circle, rather than insisting
on a conflictual model that is unlikely to damage the
West as much as Islam. A purely non-spiritual reading
of Islam, lacking the vertical dimension, tends to
produce only liberals or zealots; and both have proved
irrelevant to our needs."

So this Islamic scholar does not illustrate Spengler's

viewpoint that "the Islamic world view is bad,
repulsive and nasty." While he points out some of the
failings of Western society, to be sure, they have
been discussed by Western scholars as well!  I
disagree with his belief in 'Islam for all' and
'sacred kingship,' but his approach of tolerance and
moderation is, I hope, the voice of the Muslim
majority.

Debbi
who can tolerate arrogant tolerance  ;)