In a message dated 12/2/2003 12:00:21 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> Now they've got to spend a good bit of time finishing book two in movie
> three and I'm sure they'll have to axe a bunch of stuff out of that to
> make it short enough.  No Scouring of the Shire, I'll bet, or if it's
> there it will be severely truncated.
>
> If I had the patience to watch it again I could probably
> write a much
> longer and more specific rant, but you get the idea.
>
> Stow rant mode...

I actually think that axing much of the stuff in book 3 after the ring is destroyed
was poor. Almost half of the book was therefore an anti-climax. The dire things
happening to the shire seemed artificial, an anti-industrial rant that made it clear
to me where Tolkein's sympathies lay. I don't agree with the view that a bucolic
agrarian culture is pure and an industrial culture is bad. The pre-industrial
societies were long on inequality routine cruelty and short on democracy fairness and
hope. Tolkien's view was a fantasy and a nasty one at that. Most of this was not overt
in the books so I could ignore this but I will not be unhappy to see some of this
stuff disappear from the film. I thought TT was great and the extended version even
better. I am not believer in absolute fealty to the source in any case so I took the
movies on their own merit