On 28 Dec 2003, at 5:28 pm, David Hobby wrote:

I place CP at the top of the list with UoW, Inversions and LtW very close
behind. I need to reread Excession. I enjoyed it, but it was a complex
story with many, many ships to keep track of. I agree that PoG is the
weakest except for maybe State of the Art. I read CP first Inversions
second, and have reread both.

And by the way... not a git.

--
Doug

I believe Player of Games is one of the best, certainly the best "first book". Use of Weapons is probably best, but be warned, it's not a cheery book. The rest are all good, but I was not too impressed with Look to Windward, it seemed derivative.

I like PoG too. Not sure which is best or worst of the Iain M Banks books. I think _The Bridge_ is his best Iain Banks book, and maybe his best over all.

Depends--what exactly IS a git? The best definition I can produce is "one who intentionally refuses to think"...

Chambers says 'a fool'. I think Gobuchul is a git :) But it is 15 years since I read it...

--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Our products just aren't engineered for security." - Brian Valentine, senior vice president in charge of Microsoft's Windows development team.