David Hobby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

        Nothing too much that was new.  Mostly more of the same-old
stuff.  (Yawn.)

Oh I don't know, Chelegrans, behemothaurs, pylon country as well as a more in depth look at a lot of the stuff that he'd only touched on briefly made it interesting to me. That and an introspective look at the Culture - all is not perfect. One thing; Banks can end a book gracefully - satisfyingly and I thought the ending of this one was a good piece of work.

> Depends--what exactly IS a git? The best definition I can > produce is "one who intentionally refuses to think"...

a foolish or worthless person (http//www.m-w.com)

That's a dictionary definition. I've read a few. They give one the general sense of the word, but don't really settle what Horza is. He really seems to be balanced on the knife-edge between git and not git. If one acts foolishly for idealistic reasons, is one really a git? Probably not. But add that one's ideals are not quite consistent, and one is quite possibly a git. I give up--the Brits can argue this one out.

Well, Horza may have been wrong from our point of view and from the Culture's point of view, but he thought he was right, he was good (as in skilled), and he had some pretty cool tricks. And hey, don't forget his species was all but extinct so there was some measure of desperation involved.

Definitely not a git, IMO. 8^)

--
Doug