Alberto Monteiro wrote:

> Julia Thompson wrote:
> >
> > A good way to show off the belly is to wear a 2-piece outfit that
> > doesn't cover the belly at all.  Do they have fashions like that in
> > Brazil for pregnant women?
> >
> Yes, of course.

See, that would have been perfect.  :)  Guess I was living in the wrong
culture for the last half of the pregnancy....

> > The only place I felt completely comfortable
> > dressing like that was at an event where some people were spending time
> > walking around totally naked.
> >
> !!! Where was that?

Flipside.  Kind of like Burning Man, except in Central Texas and not in
the desert, and not for as long, and not as much land or as many
people.  If you go to burnaustin.org there may be pictures or links to
pictures.  Try clicking on "Gallery" and go to Flash's album; there may
even be a couple of pictures of me in the Flipside 2003 album.

> OTOH, I guess that you _didn't_ feel comfortable with a top among
> non-naked people.

It was the bathing suit bottom that I wasn't comfortable in other
places.  If I'd had shorts that fit then and showed off the belly, that
would have been fine.  And then my rib cage expanded to the point where
the top wouldn't fit shortly after that.  :P

> > If it were societally acceptable and easy
> > to find tops & bottoms that would have fit past 23 weeks of gestation,
> > that would have been fun.  (I'd have used up an awful lot of SPF 50
> > sunscreen in the process, though.)
> >
> I imagine that I will have to warn pregnant brazilian women about
> this, if it comes a time when brazilians can get back to the USA.
> Right now, it seems that our g*vernments and j*diciary powers
> and doing whatever they can to prevent tourists from crossing
> the border :-/

I'd recommend that they dress for the weather wherever it is they're
going, and be aware that toplessness is not socially acceptable in a lot
of places in the US.  Personally, I think it would be cool to see
pregnant bare bellies.

What's the general attitude on public breastfeeding in Brazil?

        Julia