John wrote:

Nevertheless, my question remains:
Does anyone find it to be a positive development that certain interests
succeeded in pulling that quote from the movie?

If the New Testament were a historical document and the modifications had the effect of actually modifying history, then I would be adamantly against the changes, but while I agree with Damon that the Bible has historical value, it is _not_ a definitive historical document. In addition to that, (and correct me if I'm wrong here) the controversial part of the movie was described in only one of the several books and there is some question as to it's veracity even among Christians.

So though it's difficult to make a judgment without having seen the movie both before and after the modifications, I'd have to say that if the modifications allay the (very legitimate, IMO) fears of those that believe it may incite violence against them, then yes it is a positive development.

--
Doug