----- Original Message -----
From: "Travis Edmunds" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2004 12:32 PM
Subject: Re: Reviews for Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ"

> >From: "Robert Seeberger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Subject: Re: Reviews for Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ"
> >Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 19:25:23 -0600

I don't
> see experience (or my lack of) being relevant in the least.

Of course you don't.
The relevance becomes quite obvious with experience.
It wasn't in any way obvious to me at 21 or even 25, but sure as cats
have kittens it became visible to me and will to you to whatever
degree finds you.
(Yes, to a great degree "it" finds you rather than you finding "it".)

> >It is noble for the young to question authority and to
> >question assumptions. And as you get older you tend to be less
patient
> >with arguments you discarded long long ago.
>
> In essence, "that ship has sailed" for you. I understand completely,
and ask
> you to understand that it has left port for me as well. But I'm
young you
> say; how can that be? Well, I don't have biological age backing me
up on
> this one, but I feel like I've lived a hundred years. I've been to
the stars
> and back. I've lived past lives, and lives yet to come. I write, and
have
> written for as long as I could coherently put ideas together. And in
that
> writing is a pure journey of self discovery. I've solved the
mysteries of
> the Universe (you get my meaning, I'm sure) simply by transferring
thoughts
> to words. And in those words, those conversations with myself, I
have
> discovered certain things that I hold to be true. This has led me to
adopt a
> certain line of thinking, which I hold true to. A line of thinking
where
> anything and everything is disgarded if it doesn't hold some element
of
> apparant truth. Now I empathize with the fact that people en masse
certainly
> don't think this way. I also understand when people who supposedly
have
> "open minds" refuse to accept, or more accurately adopt, certain
ways of
> thinking. But I still find it amusing that I have to argue my point
on some
> of these issues. Of course I also admit the fact that I may be quite
> delusional, but I refuse to believe it. Unless of course someone
were to
> prove it<lol>.

OK, what I see is that you are saying no matter what anyone says, you
are right about whatever whimsy flits into your mind.
What I want to know is how do you discern between truth and delusion,
and how does this make you different from a garden variety egomaniac.

Correct me please if I am misunderstanding you.

> In any case, I also refuse to be dissuaded on this concept of good
and evil
> being an inherent part of our environment.

No one is really making that claim. What *is* being claimed is that
good and evil are part of the human social landscape.

You wouldn't try to claim that Dean Corril was a really nice guy when
he wasn't killing and raping little boys would you?

Or that Bob Hope was a complete bastard except when he was
entertaining the troops?

I cannot see devolving the regime of Hitler into the hijinks of Eddie
Haskell.

There is evil loose in the world.

> >So I hope you can forgive
> >us "old folks" for our impatience with your
anti-authoritarianism.<G>
> >Especially since we do not offer authority. We offer our
experience,
> >which I don't expect you to have any more appreciation for than we
did
> >when we were young.
> >(It pains me to find myself preaching like an old fart)<G>
>
> There is nothing to forgive, friend. And quite apart from your
expectations,
> I do appreciate your experience. More so perhaps, than you may know.
> simply don't agree with you.
>
> And as for my "anti-authoritarianism", I think you have it all
wrong. It's
> just a by-product of me making the argument that I make. Of course I
come at
> this list with all the angst that is only proper in a hooligan of my
age,
> but I don't think it interferes with my ability to think rationally.

I agree.
But I disagree with your hypothesis.

> > >While
> > > your first paragraph, being quite anthropological, is relevant,
one
> >still
> > > needs some abstract concept of God. It's what it all hearkens
back
> >to, and I
> > > reject that.
> >
> >Let me spell my meaning more plainly.
> >
> >Morality does not prove the existence of "God".
> >But the same basic morality espoused by religion is actually a set
of
> >self-evident rules for social, sentient beings.
>
> You spout mundane truths.

Mundane truths are the most eternal truths.
Exotic truths would be the most fleeting. (Or most limited in scope)
Would you prefer to restate this somehow?

>I think that you perhaps never understood me. But
> I apologize, as it is after all my fault for not explaining clearly.

<G> Happens to all of us!

> But one thing that stands out when religion is embedded in ANY
discussion,
> is some abstract concept of God. Regardless of the circumstances,
God
> factors in. Now I understand where you are coming from, but due to
the fact
> of divine presence being present in any semblance of religion, and
you
> saying what you are saying...well it renders the very use of the
word
> "religion" a complete joke.

I have to reject that.
It sounds like you are saying that the slightest mention of "God",
even tangentally, invalidates any argument.
I would think that patently untrue.

> >If, there is a "God", then he placed us in a universe where these
> >truths are obtainable and created us in such a way that we require
> >these truths as a part of our social structure.
>
> "IF" that "IS" true, (And I would love to believe that it is) it
still goes
> against the old adage "God works in mysterious ways". I see a
contradiction
> brewing.<lol>

When you can explain "God's" plan to everyones satisfaction, I'll buy
you a beer! <G>

> >If, there is no "God", then we evolved in a universe where these
> >truths are self-evident and our nature is such that we require
these
> >truths as a part of our social structure.
> >
> >I don't see any discrepency with either view of reality since
reality
> >*is* what it *is*.
> >

> I honestly have nothing to say to that, and I have no idea why<lol>.

I know I could be crucified for saying this but, ..............
The existence of "God" may be an irrelevant argument because no answer
to that question will change the reality we find ourselves in.

 The above statement does not speak to the reality/nonreality of
"God".
But it does say that in either regard we are still bound to the laws
of the physical universe, and that in either case in social situations
we are still bound by morality in its contemporaneous form because it
is our nature to be social.

> > > And forgive me my presumptuousness, in stating the "man-made
evil"
> >in a way
> > > that declared me to be the sole receptacle of that knowledge.
> >

> >There is the tendency for each of us to ride our own subjective
> >beasts.
>
> How very true. But as I have explained (or tried to explain) past
tense, it
> is in understanding and accepting one's own subjectivity, that one
can
> attempt to approach things in a collectively agreed upon manner,
which is
> the closest we can come to our own definition of objectivity.

That is why so many people work so hard to understand and reach a
concensus. It is a simple way to moderate the forces of subjectivity
and objectivity.
(Sometimes a completely objective view is unwanted.)

> > >Or perhaps
> > > more accurately, that concept. You see I admit the possibility
that
> >evil is
> > > exactly what we are told it is; I just don't believe that. I'm
quite
> >the
> > > agnostic fellow you see, and I like to think, that I think about
> >things to
> > > such an extent, that I have seen all angles as well as I can.
And
> >when
> > > people make certain comments, that don't seem based in
rationality,
> >I get to
> > > thinking that they themselves aren't seeing the big picture.
> > >
> > > Perhaps I should give people more credit......
> > >
> > > Then again........
> >
> >There is a very human tendency also to believe we are the sole
"soul"
> >existing in a world of automatons.
> >One of the more difficult lessons in life is to find the "soul" in
> >another.
> >Especially if the "other" is somehow in opposition to you.
> >

> >xponent
> >Soul Warrior Maru
> >rob
> >
> Once again you hit me with something that is oh so true, but that is
oh so
> obvious. What you are saying is that one should strive to understand
> another. I do. That is why I have said on a few occasions now, that
I have
> always been able to see through the eyes of another.

Unstated but equally true, is that one should have a philosophy about
such things. Sort of a framework that such thoughts are built upon so
that one can climb to certain niches in the frame from which to view
ones life.

>Understand however,
> that I don't claim to be special, or a stereotypical "know-it-all".
I just
> try to tell it like it is; or at least as far as I know what "is".
> Otherwise, I go against the grain of myself, and I find that to be
quite the
> impossibility.
>
> -Travis "seeing is believing" Edmunds
>
> P.S. If you think I was rude or a little crass in any of my
statements,
> please take it for a grain of salt. It isn't my intent.

Heck no!
These kinds of discussions would be no fun at all if one were never
challenged and had to defend ones beliefs.
Its having the courage to *change* and to see one's self as others see
that is the mark of a "whole" person.

xponent
For Us Guys, That's Manhood Maru
rob